Recent trips to Freeport? Need advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
I'm heading to Freeport soon and staying at the Westin. I've seen a number of reviews on Scubaboard, but most of them were pretty dated. Anyone been diving in Freeport lately? I'm looking for a dive operator. In particular, I'm interested in knowing what the realistic schedule is for the morning two-tank dive at each operator. (The websites typically list a schedule but often fail to account for "island time.") What time did the boat actually leave and return? Was it crowded? Impressions of the DM's? Thanks in advance!

PS: I'll try to post a trip report when I get back.

I just said that I want to know what the island time is! Explanation: I am required to return to the chair next to my non-diving wife as soon as possible. I know that some shops get in as late as 1:30, while others keep the BS to a minimum and get back around 11:30. I like to get two good dives in every day on vacation. But diving is only a part of the day, not the entire day.

I haven't been in two years. The huricanes trashed the resort we usually stay at last year.

If memory serves we were in by 1 or 1:30.

Shoot Fred an e-mail. They usually answer quickly.

I dove in Freeport two weeks ago and dove with both Xanadu and Grand Bahama Scuba. They were both wonderful operations, which I would go with again. I am not sure about schedules, but I can tell you that both operators picked me and my wife up at the exact times that they said they would. As far as when we left the dock had more to do with how quickly the passengers were ready.

ClassAction:
Was it crowded? Impressions of the DM's?
PS: I'll try to post a trip report when I get back.

1) Crowding is determined by the number of divers signed up. If they have a lot that want to go, it will be crowded. This is not meant as a smart @ss3d remark, it's just plain fact. They will crowd 'em on, unlike an AI resort that has an ongoing reputation to uphold for return visitors.

2) The D.M.'s have seen it all before. Being the closest location for US divers to show up and thrash about on lifetime logged dive #7, they will not take you to the better dive sites for any number of reasons. One - most divers who appear at their doorstep cant see anything smaller than a Shark. Two - most divers who appear at their doorstep want to see a Shark. Three - the closest dive sites are the ones that are the most greatly affected by years of run-off from development. Four - They will take you to easy, no current, lunar landscaped dives as it's easier to see what newbies might be getting into.

3) You will try (?) and post a trip report when you come back? No, it's your obligation. You took the time to post this question here, now it's your turn for a little payback.

Enjoy your trip, but try not to be on a schedule. What's really going on here...? Cruise Ship in port? Business Trip with some spare time? What?

here's another vote for grand bahama scuba. Fred was great. we took 6 divers so we had the run of the boat. he set up the scedule the way we wanted it. the boat was never over croweded. the busiest day had another group who had been diving with xanado. (SP) they said it was like herding cattle with them. way to over crowded boat, so many people the DM were just over worked.

now I never dove with xanado I am just telilng you what the others who joined us said.

With Fred it was by far one of the best diving experiences I have ever had. my wife is a newer diver and he really made her feel comfortable. so confortable in fact she even did her first night dive with them....something she said she would probably never be able to do.

he picked us up at our hotel and took us back. on the busiest day of diving we had with him he even joined us for lunch. we ordered pizza and just sat around talking. he is a great guy and worth every penny and then some. we will be going back there soon (can't beat the $59 airfare from ATL) and we will definitly be going back with him.

I returned a couple of weeks ago after diving with Xanadu. They picked us up at about 7:30 for the morning two-tank dive and returned un in the 1 to 1:30 time frame depending on how long it took divers to settle their bills.

We did an afternoon two-tank dive and they picked us up at 1 and returned by about 6.

We also did a one-tank night dive. Usually that's a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, depending on demand. They picked us up at 7:30 and we returned by 11.

They also have a one-tank afternoon dive, but we didn't do that. As well as a shark dive. We didn't do that, but another diver said only two showed up.

The DM's were just fantastic. Mauris and Ben were really cool, and Ray was an blast above and below the water.

We dove Theo (cool and no extra charge) and Sea Star (maybe cooler where we saw a "Mom" and juvenile stingray). Xanadu reef at night where we saw a "big" octopus, two squids and a green moray. Spid City (great) where we saw several arrow crabs, bugs, green moray, sleeping nurse shark and a baby spotted eel. Shark Alley (only one black tip and lower viz) and Dolphin Reef (they must have been out to lunch).

Boat was a decent dive boat, unlike some of the oversized lifeboats being used for diving purposes in the area.

Like Renpirate, can't wait to go dive with these folks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom