Recent trips to Freeport? Need advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj:
the busiest day had another group who had been diving with xanado. (SP) they said it was like herding cattle with them. way to over crowded boat, so many people the DM were just over worked.

now I never dove with xanado I am just telilng you what the others who joined us said.

QUOTE]

Both operators are very good and I had excellent experiences with both of them.
It must be mentioned that both Fred and Xanadu will pack their boats if they have the people. It's a matter of meeting the bottom line. I had the opportunity of diving with both when they were crowded. Fred's boat is much more uncomfortable with more people. However, in the dives my wife and I did with Fred, there were generally less people.

I would definitely dive again with both of them.

The Island is back in shape,one major resort is still closed ,We dive Bell channel or Xanadu=bell chanel has times set and are next to your resort,UNEXO is the cow boat in town!
Have fun
Brad

RoatanMan:
1) Crowding is determined by the number of divers signed up. If they have a lot that want to go, it will be crowded. This is not meant as a smart @ss3d remark, it's just plain fact. They will crowd 'em on, unlike an AI resort that has an ongoing reputation to uphold for return visitors.

I've been on some boats that will almost go to standing-room-only, as well as one that limited its guests to 6.

RoatanMan:
3) You will try (?) and post a trip report when you come back? No, it's your obligation. You took the time to post this question here, now it's your turn for a little payback.

Easy, now. Trip report is coming.

RoatanMan:
Enjoy your trip, but try not to be on a schedule. What's really going on here...? Cruise Ship in port? Business Trip with some spare time? What?

This was just a quickie little getaway for the little lady (a non-diver) and I to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Thus, diving had to be pretty limited...

Trip Report: I wound up doing a few dives with unexso, mostly because it was walking distance from my hotel (the westin). The boat was dated, but spacious. It had the ladder that doesn't require you to remove fins, which is nice. It was pretty crowded -- I think I counted 14 divers + 2 dms + captain. The DM's were very friendly and did a pretty good job with an intro to the site. They didn't force you to follow-the-leader and two people went off on their own. One complaint: each DM took a group of 6 divers on a tour of the site and they weren't concerned about pairing up buddy's. I was alone and asked the DM whether anyone else was looking for a buddy, and he suggested that I just hang around the group (which I'm not a fan of). I wound up just joining another pair and making a threesome. The dives were great -- saw the usual suspects (angelfish, grunts, etc.) plus squirrelfish, groupers and an eel. Overall, I'd give them a B+.

ClassAction:
This was just a quickie little getaway for the little lady (a non-diver) and I to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Thus, diving had to be pretty limited...

Brilliant- I get it.

Here's the trick- get her absolutely snockered on Rum-swoozies and "put her to bed".

Leave the room at 0700 with your dive gear, but first place the Visa Card and $500 in cash on the nightstand along with the splashy tourist brochure "Shopping Bargains in the Bahamas".

Also, leave the appointment card for the pedicure and day spa.

In the bathroom, leave a quarter of champagne, fresh OJ and ice. Will she need the recipe? Maybe some aspirin, too.

What are you some kind of newlywed?

Get a grip on the process here, will'ya?

Then go diving.

When you get back at 1800, toss on a new t-shirt and take her to a romantic dinner.

She will care less if you spent the whole day diving.

Then, "put her to bed".

(repeat)

See? You asked all the wrong questions.

I happen to be stuck in in Freeport for a night, trying to get to Bimini. I'm staying at the Bell Channel, and the Caribbean Divers boat is right in front of my room. Not a boat I'd like to try...

(RoatanMan, you are a funny guy! :) )

I'm the "little lady" (OK, Yaz, control the laughter) non-diver in our couple, and had a great time at the Ocean Reef resort and with Fred and Suzuki and Grand Bahama Scuba last year. The resort is condos, relaxed and laid back, perfect for a "sun-bunny" like me who just wants to kick back and get some rays and explore on my my own schedule. Diver hubby loved GBS and I enjoyed a couple of good afternoon snorkels on the afternoon drive trips. Port Lucaya shops are just a cab, bus or friendly neighbor (love to Ruby the boxer and her Mom and Dad who picked me up) drive away, and I never lacked for a marvelous and relaxing time while Mr. Yaz was diving. Overall, its a great vacation for the diver and non-diver, and we'll take it over Nassau and the flashy tourist hotels and Stuart Cove "experience" (boo, hiss) any day or night.

Fred and crew and Grand Bahama Scuba are the best, and we plan to go back soon. I can honestly recommend it to any non-diver accompanying a diver. My all time favorites as the non-diver are:

Sunset House, Grand Cayman
Aruba Grand Beach Resort (now Riu Aruba Grand) and Unique Sports on Aruba
Ocean Reef Yacht and Beach Club and Grand Bahama Scuba, Freeport
Little Cayman Beach Resort, Little Cayman

All were great vacations for the diver and non-diver.

Best,

Yaz, with thanks to Tavi for recommending GBS

I am spoiled.

After diving off tiny, underpowered boats in Cozumel for years I have been diving with Fred at Grand Bahama Scuba each of the past four years. Two tanks per day for five days each trip plus the odd night dive.

GBS is a very professional and courteous outfit. The boat is W-I-D-E and fast and makes for a very comfortable ride out and back. I have never been out with more than eight customers and on the last trip went out one day with TWO.

Fred always has a story to tell about the site and he and Melinda make for excellent dinner company.

I am going to keep coming back.

They are a really great op. Here is a picture of their boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom