Recommend me a deco course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sticking to your original question, I would look at either tdi's decompression theory or either iantd's adv nitric or adv Trimix

Tdi's class will tech you how to plan for any amount of decompression you want add long as it is air (or nitrox) with I believe no stage usage.

Iantd will teach you to either use trimix (160ft max) our high percentage nitrox to dive with up to 15 minutes of decompression. The Trimix class also includes the usage of a stage of up 50% nitrox to aid in decompression.

Daru

Dive-aholic: I was descending to see what my buddy who was significantly deeper was looking at, noticed I ended up with 1 minute no deco time, and while ascending back to shallower depth I tripped over to deco, oops. Similar story for the other accidental deco, though that time I was following a divemaster until my NDL was too short, tripped deco while ascending.
Why was your buddy significantly deeper than you?
I'm not sure a deco course is what you or your buddy really needs. I would work on buddy team/dive awareness first. A "Fundies" type course would be beneficial.

A 1 minute NDL typically doesn't result in a 13 minute deco obligation if you are ascending.

Depends on the computer . . . some start to give you "credit" for offgassing as soon as you hit the offgassing ceiling, and others will continue to accrue deco until you hit the stop depth.

To the OP: If you want to understand more of what is known (and theorized) about decompression, Mark Powell's book is excellent. I would also recommend the GUE DVD, "The Mysterious Malady," which consists of interviews with the folks who are actually involved in research in the area. It's both informative and cautionary. You can also purchase the UTD online course on Ratio Deco, which, although some of the things presented as fact there are actually controversial, is still a reasonable overview of different approaches to planning decompression. I would also highly recommend NW Grateful Diver's article on Gas Management, which introduces the very basic ideas of gas planning, which is a critical component to any dive where you intend to incur a decompression obligation. Once you have lost the surface as an option to solve problems, you HAVE to have enough gas to get you through the time you are forced to stay underwater. Knowing how much that is, and planning for contingencies, is simply critical.

If you are actually interested in the mechanics of planning and executing staged decompression dives, you need a class that is pragmatic and experience-based. It's not a bad idea to get some insight into the level of skill required to cope with problems underwater, as well. None of us here knows your diving competence, but among the things you should be able to do if you are going into deco is all the basic OW skills (except the relatively silly ones, like removing and replacing your kit) done while hovering, without losing position (don't want to lose the upline!) or changing depth (can't blow a deco stop because your mask floods). The Fundamentals class which has been mentioned here is a very good way of assessing your abilities in this arena, without either the expense or the risk involved in taking an actual technical diving class. Fundies can be done in a single tank.

Why was your buddy significantly deeper than you?
Slightly sloping wall dive, and 10-12 meters is pretty significant for depth, also the divemaster was at her depth, and I was in my OOA swim comfort zone. Easy relaxed conditions, high vis, no current.

3 dives a day(third being night dive), this was dive 2 that day. It didn't stop giving me more deco time until I was at less than 10 meters.

3 dives a day(third being night dive), this was dive 2 that day. It didn't stop giving me more deco time until I was at less than 10 meters.

Enough residual nitrogen in your mid-slow tissue compartments to push them into a controlling factor. Can catch you out sometimes if you're not aware of how your diving equates to what your computer is calculating over time/dives...

I would suggest IANDT recreational trimix or advanced recreational trimix .
Trimix Diver Training - IANTD Courses
It will include deco procedures and probably a fair bit of into to tech training, also just excellent skills training. It was a good class for people who want to gain the know-how and credentials to do deco & trimix dives, but don't plan to become techno-wunderkinds.
I liked the atmosphere a lot more ;-)
My experience: Trimix class Report (Adv Rec IANDT)

Go on boards in Sweden to get more info about what instructors are reasonably close to where you live and who other folks would recommend. It's also fun and of practical use to do the course (and almost as important train for the course) with 1-3 friends. 4 of you can take the class together. Actually for 4 students most teachers will arrange a course.

This was a pretty OK and not too expensive book on recreational-level trimix:
http://www.amazon.com/Recreational-...&qid=1367598358&sr=1-1&keywords=trimix+kindle
Our class was taught with no text, instead the instructor's own materials, translated (from IANDT materials) to the local language for better understanding/assimilation of the information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom