recommendation for a reg for a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I need to get a second stage to use with my pony bottle. This will be the first time I start diving with a pony as a back up. I would like to get some imput and recommendation for a reg for a pony such as should I go with a cheap reg, middle of the pack or high end.:confused:

Originally posted by Rooster1
I need to get a second stage to use with my pony bottle. This will be the first time I start diving with a pony as a back up. I would like to get some imput and recommendation for a reg for a pony such as should I go with a cheap reg, middle of the pack or high end.:confused:

Oops I should have put this post under the Regulator forum

Question #1... are you happy with your primary reg, or are you thinking of replacing it? When I set out to decide on a reg for my pony, I realized that I wanted to upgrade my primary reg anyway, so I upgraded my primary and moved my old primary over to pony bottle details.

As far as cheap, middle, expensive... Make your own judgement based on one simple fact. If your using your pony, your in a heap of trouble. If you can't trust the reg that is on that pony enough to get you out of a nasty jam, your screwed...

Like funky_monks, I'm a big fan of upgrading one piece of equipment, and moving the old one to a backup role. (Never buy a TV for the bedroom; buy a bigger one for the living room, move the old one to the bedroom.) Ideally, I think you would have two identical regs, and they would be the highest quality you can afford. But, I think there are a lot of high-quality "budget" regs out there. Do you really care if your pony's reg doesn't breathe as easily at 130' as your primary? For myself, I plan to buy a pony in the future, and haven't yet decided whether to go bargain, or expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom