Recommendation for vacation home near great diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satrekker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a bit of wishful thinking, but I am wondering what dive destinations people would recommend that would make a great place for a 2nd home. I'm the diver in the family, my wife will snorkel a bit, and I'm also big on kiteboarding and deep sea fishing. With that in mind, waterfront on a canal with a dock for boat would be ideal. I'm open to S. America, Caribbean, even Indonesia. I can think of many places, but since I've not been to most of them, I thought I'd get some feedback from the more well-travelled people here.

Here's a short list of places that come to mind immediately:
1. Cozumel
2. Turks and Caicos
3. Dominican Republic

There are no wrong answers. I'm seriously interested in the best diving available with tropical living on the water.

Last edited:
Home? Why buy? Foreign investment can be a challenge.

IMHO the best Caribbean diving is via a LOB. Or Bonaire...No home ownership required

Id do Passamaquoddy Bay in Eastport Maine. It is not tropical diving but I just saw a presentation and the diving is amazing! Property prices are dirt cheap and you are diving from the shore.

Home? Why buy? Foreign investment can be a challenge.

IMHO the best Caribbean diving is via a LOB. Or Bonaire...No home ownership required

I'm thinking about being an ex-pat in the next 10 years or so. I completely understand the LOB sentiment, and I agree, but I'm looking for a place to live. I'm in real estate and have experience with foreign investment, so it's not a deterrent to me. I'm interested in some feedback to help clarify a shorter list of locations to research.

The more I think about it, the more SE Asia begins to creep up my list, but it's not nearly as convenient of a locale from which to travel back and forth to NA.

We go on 3 dive trips per year. After each trip 2 questions. Would you go back? Could you live there? Cozumel is only place that got yes for both questions from both of us. Cost of living or medical ( or lack of) negates the others.YMMV. Bill

I'm thinking about being an ex-pat in the next 10 years or so. I completely understand the LOB sentiment, and I agree, but I'm looking for a place to live. I'm in real estate and have experience with foreign investment, so it's not a deterrent to me. I'm interested in some feedback to help clarify a shorter list of locations to research.

The more I think about it, the more SE Asia begins to creep up my list, but it's not nearly as convenient of a locale from which to travel back and forth to NA.
okay, but my question still stands: why buy? What percentage of your time and how long?

Is there an economic advantage to ownership? Emotionally most of us want to "live at home" so we want to own where we live.

There are a few SB members that own/live for extended periods in Belize and Bonaire.

okay, but my question still stands: why buy? What percentage of your time and how long?

Is there an economic advantage to ownership? Emotionally most of us want to "live at home" so we want to own where we live.

There are a few SB members that own/live for extended periods in Belize and Bonaire.

You do realize that as an ex-pat, this would be a primary residence? I'm not a renter.

You do realize that as an ex-pat, this would be a primary residence? I'm not a renter.
Why not? Have you examined the economics? And the local laws regarding ownership?

I claim owning is a knee jerk feel good reaction. I want to own. You want to own. My accountant may have different views if I asked them. It's all about the money.

We are "retirement age" and have several friends that now live "abroad". None of them own anything abroad. Which surprised me.

i have been thinking about this a lot as well @Satrekker - Setting aside the home ownership issue for the sake of conversation, I have pretty much narrowed things down to Bonaire or Cozumel. I love the diving, food and culture in both locations. They are also both relatively easy to get back and forth from. I have thought long and hard about SE Asia. I have lived 7 years of my life in SE Asia and have a strong affinity for the region and have traveled in every country; but I finally concluded that the distance and time to travel back and forth in the event of an emergency or life event with any of my family members or close friends is just too much of an impediment (for me). On any given day, I could do a coin flip and go with Bonaire or Cozumel. Both have their pros and cons for me. Happy to elaborate on those pros and cons, if anyone is interested.

Been looking at this as well. Leaning towards Bonaire for several reasons (cost of food NOT one of them). Debating on the rent vs own still. Still have a year or two before it might happen. Be interesting to see the responses from others on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom