Recommendation on a BC for the wife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a SCUBAPRO ladyhawk for my girlfriend, she loves it!
See Jah

dschulte:
........the ladies that dive with our crew are typically in BP/W.

In that case, may be she can try them out and see if she likes them.

My wife and two daughters loves their Zeagle Zena.Its built to be adjustable to fit the contours of women,and yet its very streamline,without being bulky.Zeagle products are very well made.Have her go to a LDS and try one.Don't buy any until she gets to try one....,better still rent one and go for a dive or two.Good luck.

My wife has been diving the Dive LX for the past two years and loves it. It is particulary "friendly" for woman that are large breasted. The built insoprts bra is much more comfortable (I'm told) than the starps on some others. I have also used the Diva for rental gear and recommended it to a number of my students and have never had anyone tell me they did not like it. But as other have said, she must be comfortable with the fit and features.

One more bit topadd...in my opinion the weight release sytem on the Diva is the best one on the market. I have the same sytem on a Black Diamond that I have been using for the past two years, about 400 dives, and it works great, is easy to release, and locks positve. Jim

Let her try a few different styles and decide what she's comfortable with. Please guys, don't pick your wife or girlfriend's BCD for her. And don't limit the choices to those that are marketed to women. We come in all shapes and sizes and too many of those BCD's are proportioned for someone's idea of average.

I learnt to dive in a back float BC and personally don't like the feeling of a jacket. I tried the Zena and found it clausterphobic (and I'm fairly thin). A BP was too stiff and uncomfortable. I ended up with a customized Zeagle Scout and love it. It's the pre 2007 model and it's very minimalist and lightweight. Also perfect for traveling, if that's a consideration. Zeagles are a great choice for women because your LDS can get the components in different sizes so you really do get a good fit.

I bought my wife the Zeagle Zena and she loves it. Loves the fact the once the straps are adjusted for the wetsuit she's wearing, she just zips in and out and the fit is always the same. Loves the look of it too.

I've loaned it to female co-workers who have done many dives on it and they love it too, and have wanted to purchase one for themselves.

John

scubawife:
Let her try a few different styles and decide what she's comfortable with. Please guys, don't pick your wife or girlfriend's BCD for her. And don't limit the choices to those that are marketed to women. We come in all shapes and sizes and too many of those BCD's are proportioned for someone's idea of average.

I learnt to dive in a back float BC and personally don't like the feeling of a jacket. I tried the Zena and found it clausterphobic (and I'm fairly thin). A BP was too stiff and uncomfortable. I ended up with a customized Zeagle Scout and love it. It's the pre 2007 model and it's very minimalist and lightweight. Also perfect for traveling, if that's a consideration. Zeagles are a great choice for women because your LDS can get the components in different sizes so you really do get a good fit.
Based upon great advice in this forum, I went to the LDS to try on BCs (am in the market for equipment). THey carry Diva, Genesis and Zeagle, but did not have women's BCs in anything other than a s/m!! I am 5'7" and on the curvy, not skinny side, so none of these worked. There aren't many LDS in Ottawa, either. I plan to order the Zena & Lazer online, and see if either one works for me. Any other suggestions?

kelbat:
There aren't many LDS in Ottawa, either. I plan to order the Zena & Lazer online, and see if either one works for me. Any other suggestions?
Are there any other shops within weekend get-way driving range? Getting one wet is really a huge plus.

Pete

kelbat:
Based upon great advice in this forum, I went to the LDS to try on BCs (am in the market for equipment). THey carry Diva, Genesis and Zeagle, but did not have women's BCs in anything other than a s/m!! I am 5'7" and on the curvy, not skinny side, so none of these worked. There aren't many LDS in Ottawa, either. I plan to order the Zena & Lazer online, and see if either one works for me. Any other suggestions?

If you're not an "off the rack" size then ordering a Zeagle online won't be the best way to go. You need to find an LDS so they can custom fit it for you. What I like about Zeagles for women is that your LDS can order then with the different components in different sizes if that's what you need. They're also very adjustable.

Was the local dealer not willing to order something else for you to try? I'd go back and talk to them first and see if they could order the size you want in those models. Tell them you'd rather buy locally then online. :wink: Also try the non-woman's models if they have them. It'll give you an idea of the sizing and you might find you like one of them. If you do go online, check out Scubatoys.com and give them a call before you order so they can help you make the right choice and get the size you'll need.

JohnnyH:
I bought my wife the Zeagle Zena and she loves it. Loves the fact the once the straps are adjusted for the wetsuit she's wearing, she just zips in and out and the fit is always the same. Loves the look of it too.

I've loaned it to female co-workers who have done many dives on it and they love it too, and have wanted to purchase one for themselves.

John

I loved the Zena, too... except it wouldn't work for my type of diving. It does not have enough lift for temperate or cold water dives...

If I only dove warm water, that would be my first choice!

Back
Top Bottom