recommendation on drysuit underwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianw

Reaction score
I am lookign for recommendations for drysuit underwear brands/models that will keep me warm in 40-50 degree water. I'm taking a trip up to British Columbia later this wear and feel I need something warmer than what I already have. Any recommendations appreciated !! thanks in advance.

brianw:
I...feel I need something warmer than what I already have. Any recommendations appreciated !!
What do you already have?

I use the same undies in 65F summertime water as I do in 37F winter water. However, I do add a layer of expedition weight polypro underneath and switch to Argon for inflation.

I've been using Diving Concepts in very cold water for a few years and it's worked very well. Especially for those with problems with flexibility (reaching valves) it's a godsend:

Lots of divers around here (Chicago, water in the 30's & 40's, rarely in the 50's) swear by Weezke, although I haven't tried it (yet):

And Soft Wear has been getting good reviews. I may try it but I'm not certain that it's warm enough for my area:

Snowbear:
What do you already have?

I use the same undies in 65F summertime water as I do in 37F winter water. However, I do add a layer of expedition weight polypro underneath and switch to Argon for inflation.

I have a OS Systems (Oregon)Nautilus suit (polytrilaminate shell) with the underwear that comes with those, basically a lightweight polartec worn underneath the main drysuit underwear.

mmm... Viking Comfort Plus Thinsulate will do the trick.
Stay away from the Arctic, as folks in Alaska complain that's too warm.
Viking Thinsulate undies have a nice cozy fleece lining, making it considerably warmer than other brands of the same weight.
300 wt Northern Diver Flectalon is also a good bet, light, very porous & it doesn't compress down like the softer fiber suit materials. Cost about the same as the Thinsulate which will retain over 80% of its insulative abilities when wet, or so says 3-M.

Weezle is excellent :)

Personally I use Fouth Element Xerotherm under my 100mg undersuit in the winter. TOASTY :) Expensive but well worth it

I use the Diving Concepts stretch thinsulate for SoCal diving. Coldest water I have seen is 48, and I was ok. Price on the Diving Concepts undergarments are really high. I would look for an effective alternate if possible.

settled on an older-model DUI, thinsulate 400G, size large
which I was able to try on. set me back $259 US. tag inside
collar says t is rated for 35-50 degrees.

thanks to everyone who responded on this thread and have some great diving out there !!!

bw

brianw:
settled on an older-model DUI, thinsulate 400G, size large
which I was able to try on. set me back $259 US. tag inside
collar says t is rated for 35-50 degrees.

thanks to everyone who responded on this thread and have some great diving out there !!!

bw

Good choice. When I put exp. weight polypros under it I'm good to 40f. Follow the directions and don't keep it on a hanger. Enjoy.

doole:
Good choice. When I put exp. weight polypros under it I'm good to 40f. Follow the directions and don't keep it on a hanger. Enjoy.
just to add to this note, I believe the recommendation not to keep the suit on a hangar is because ,for extended periods, gravity can cause the thinsulate at the shoulders to separate, so they suggest you just keep it rolled up and stuffed in a drawer or similar....

Back
Top Bottom