Recommendations for 2nd hand regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will not be saving money servicing one regulator as you need tools and training. So just look what you can get serviced in your area.

The regs are also not a life support system:)

First, you don't actually need training. Buying either "Regulator Savvy" or "Regulator Maintenance and Repair" will teach you what you need to know. Second, the cost of tools you have to buy is typically less than the cost of one servicing, assuming you have any tools at home. If you have no tools at home, it's about equivalent to the cost of one servicing. Sure you can spend more on tools but what's the point? Third, I have no less than 2 first stage and 3 second stage regs that shops in my area simply won't service. I bought those three regs for about $40 total and by the time I'm finished I will have spent less than $100 to service all three and have enough spare parts to service them again next year. (That's less than I spent servicing my Scubapro Mk10/G250 one time at a shop.)

As for particular makes and models, it really doesn't matter if you're going to service them yourself. I did a bunch of research on here and asked for recommendations if I knew model numbers. I ended up getting mediocre to good gear for good prices. I currently have the scubapro setup mentioned above. I also have an AMF/Voit Swimaster MR12 II first and second stage (nice little reg) and a Dacor Pacer 900 first with Pacer and Pacer XLE seconds. The Pacers are generally considered "lower" end but they seem to function just fine... not as smooth/easy breathing as the scubapro but I paid less for them and expect less from them. These are going to become my brother's kit and he's certainly not going to complain about free gear.

I recommend looking in the DIY section and reading as much as you can about servicing various units. Lots of info on why people are choosing the 109s for example.

Here are a few links for the OP from threads I've started here on scubaboard asking about servicing regs:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bo...sus-harlows-regulator-maintenance-repair.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/408934-sources-parts.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/407614-tools-regulator-maintenance.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...rosion-metal-reg-parts-how-much-too-much.html

Just an FYI. In about a month, March 1st to be exact, Edge will be coming out with a new unbalanced piston reg with an unbalanced second stage and octopus combo at a price that that will be hard to beat for the new OW diver on a serious or student budget. All I will say for now. Will this be a reg that you'd use on a dive to the Doria? Nope. But for OW recreational diving in warm water it will more than suffice.

I'm fairly new to diving, and I am interested in buying a set of second hand (student budget!) regulators which are a.) simple to self-service and b.) will last

What would be a recommendation, and why?
Do a price comparison of used,[any brand]-vs-new HOG...And go to Scubatools.com...They have books on gear basic principles and equipment/tools you'd need.......That'll give you an idea of what your costs will be and what is involved.......Depending on your abilities, it really isn't hard, but you should definitely know what your doing, use the correct high quality parts, right tools and be 'exacting-detail' minded.........The old saying "the devils in the details" definitely applies to scuba gear........

Looking over the forums here, many people seem to be buying the SP 109s. Is there a particular reason for this?

The 109s are great regs, every bit as good as what is on the market today. If you are looking for something very easy to service you could get a 108HP, same basic set up as the 109 but not adjustable. I have found them on Ebay for 10-15 dollars. Both models do not require any special tools for you to service them.

Let me add to the discussion that I am very hesitant about buying used regulators. It is the one gear area where I think the cost of new is worth it. Most shops or manufacturers will give one or two years free service, you will know the equipment's use history and service history, and that is important. If you do buy used, be sure it is from someone who can document both the use and the service history. Both are important facts to know.
DivemasterDennis

Let me add to the discussion that I am very hesitant about buying used regulators. It is the one gear area where I think the cost of new is worth it. Most shops or manufacturers will give one or two years free service, you will know the equipment's use history and service history, and that is important. If you do buy used, be sure it is from someone who can document both the use and the service history. Both are important facts to know.
DivemasterDennis
Why are they important to know? If it's serviced, either by a competent amateur, or by a professional, then during that servicing there is an inspection. All of the parts are cleaned and the parts that might wear out are replaced. What is the concern? Yes, it's "life support" but there is no difference in used by me for 10 years and used by someone else for 10 years once it has been properly inspected and serviced.

Let me add to the discussion that I am very hesitant about buying used regulators. It is the one gear area where I think the cost of new is worth it.
I am not altogether sure I agree with the second sentence in this statement. What is the basis for saying, 'the cost of new is worth it'?
Most shops or manufacturers will give one or two years free service
I am not aware of any manufacturer or shop that gives free service. I am aware of some that give free parts.
If you do buy used, be sure it is from someone who can document both the use and the service history. Both are important facts to know.
Actually, I don't think either offers much. Folks, perhaps we should go back to, and keep in mind, the point of the OP's comment / question - used regs that can be owner-serviced. How is the service history, per se, relevant? What is important is whether the reg has received COMPETENT service (which may not be apparent from a 'service history'). Regs in general are pretty durable. But, if a clumsy / careless/ DA service technician (paid staff or reg owner) doesn't know what they are doing and thinks that every first stage problem is solved by aggressive use of a dental pick, you could end up with first stage that has scratches in the worst possible places.

I have an (unfortunately) large number of regs. Of the 19 (first stages) I own, only 4 were purchased new. I know NOTHING about the use or service history of any of the used ones, before I purchased them (on eBay). Yet, they are all fully functional, I have serviced each and every one, and they are (as far as I can tell from diving them) perfectly safe.

Many times I have seen where the person selling the equipment knows nothing about it and just wants to move it to clear up some space in the garage. With that said I have seen regulators and BCs come in for inspection and service from this situation. Many were not stored properly and advanced corrosion was present. superficially they looked used but inside they were a mess. springs compressed and weekend, chrome finishes compromised. Some I have had come in for service and someone had used petroleum jelly as a lubricant and a serious gentle cleaning was needed. The lay person would not know how to deal with these situations. I am not saying that there are not any really great deals out there on EBay or CraigsList but Buyer beware and be prepared to be stung if you make a poor purchase. I have not seen it all but I have seen allot from both perspectives as a buyer and a service tech. I do agree with the purchase of used rental fleet. Many facilities like to turn their used fleet over every two years. We don't offer free service but will give free adjustments for 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom