Recommendations for a "less expensive" strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
clgsamson:
I have a $450 Inon strobe...I don't feel smart after reading this.
at least its not a $1500 Subtronic...

Kim:
What are you talking about?

You just posted that basically I probably paid around 20X more than the manufacturing cost for my strobe. I don't have any plans for anything - I didn't claim anything....you did.

It seems reasonable to expect you to back up the kind of post that you made with some kind of facts...no? I'm sure lots of people would be more than interested to see if their particular strobe was included in your "average strobe" list so they could compare your posted manufacturing cost against what they paid. Of course - they'll probably expect some sort of proof that you've got your numbers right!
Out of curiosity - is an Inon D-180 an "average strobe" that cost about $20 to make?

Ok let make this even Simpler:

The camera’s functions are focus on the image, measure the light levels, adjust for the correct light levels, record the image, store the image, provide automatic flash control level if need.

And the strobe’s function???…Fire a controlled flash level period!!!

So which of the two boxes are more complex????

f3nikon:

The camera’s functions are focus on the image, measure the light levels, adjust for the correct light levels, record the image, store the image, provide automatic flash control level if need.

All that technical stuff goes over my head.....

I just want to know who makes the cheap strobes! :eyebrow: (my best maths is counting the money in my pocket!)

C'mon - you told us that they're out there...so where? Or post the plans so I can get one of the boys to make them for us........yes......there's an idea.....stick the plans and part sources in the DIY forum!

I mean really - the OP wants to know where to get a cheap strobe....me too!!!! You said you knew so why are you being so coy?

Kim:
All that technical stuff goes over my head.....

I just want to know who makes the cheap strobes! :eyebrow: (my best maths is counting the money in my pocket!)

C'mon - you told us that they're out there...so where?

No Spin Zone please, nothing technical here just facts would you agree with this example?

Or the Nikon SB-800 strobe...will fire a preflash and control the flash output very well, it retails for $250 with a much more complex electronics than any $500 to $700 U/W on the market. You mean to tell me that the plastic U/W case will cost 250 to 450 dollars???

Sarcasm cannot silence the facts..

f3nikon:
You mean to tell me that the plastic U/W case will cost 250 to 450 dollars???
I am not telling you anything!!!! You are telling me (well actually it was Alcina...but she's only one of the best photographers on the board and not online right now to answer your (IMO) rather condescending post directed at her....did you SEE her picture of the Blenny??????)...um...anyway.....you are telling us:
F3Nikon:
Yes I have taken apart many strobes and yes I am in the electronics business.
The cost to make an average strobe is about $20... if from China even cheaper.
and
F3Nikon:
And yes there are cheaper strobes that work very well, that is why the popular strobe makers want them out of business
So I am simply asking...what are they? where are they? who makes them?
given that you're in the electronics business they should be simple questions no?

Are you in such disbelief that a manufacturer would make such a greedy markup? Or are you questioning the facts? Or in just in denial that you paid too much?

"rather condescending post directed at her"

What part of this is condescending???

The bases of the "rule of thumb"...a digital compact camera has more expensive and complex parts when compared to a simple U/W strobe with about $15 worth of electronics in a plastic case. The camera has complex electronics, CCD sensor, LCD display, quality lens with a motor drive focus and zoom, auto exposure flash sytem built in!

The strobe has a charge cap., flash bulb, switches, analog electronics in a plastic case. Yes I have taken apart many strobes and yes I am in the electronics business.
The cost to make an average strobe is about $20... if from China even cheaper.

Good grief!!!!!!

OK...to use your words:

"Ok let make this even Simpler: "

Who makes the cheap strobes that the manufacturers are trying to put out of business? If you actually gave me some facts (which is all I'm asking for) then I can stop with the questions! Isn't that simple?

f3nikon:
What part of this is condescending???
As I said...just my opinion but pretty much ALL of it.

I don't think Alcina needs to be told how a camera or a strobe works as if she's some newbie! :D

And again - I'm still waiting for some supporting evidence/facts about the manufacturing cost part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom