Recommendations for a "less expensive" strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely recommend buying a stobe that you can use with your next cameras. I bought a slightly used DS-50 with slave sensor and mounting arm from this or one of the other boards for $175 early this year. You don't need a $100 sync cord like mentioned by F3Nikon. You would be using the slave sensor. A manual controller would also be a nice option.

For 200-300 dollars you won't lighting up the entire reef, so I would concentrate on finding a smaller strobe for closer shooting. I'm experienced with some of the Ike strobes, but I'm sure Inon, Sea & Sea, or one of the other companies makes something that would fit the need. At your price range, though, I wouldn't definitely consider used, preferably from one of the underwater photography websites, but also from E-bay.

David

f3nikon:
Rule of thumb...the price of the U/W strobe should cost HALF as much as your DX3000G.

Ummm, first I've ever heard of this "rule of thumb". I would always plan on spending at least as much on a strobe as I would on a compact camera. And that's at least. I would now budget roughly $450US ish for a strobe, which is how much I paid for my Inon 240 from Yuzo. I'd make my upper end around $700US ish.

Expensive? Maybe, depends on your needs. I still have strobes from the early 90s so getting 10 years out of a strobe as it moves through system after system with you isn't bad...ymmv

ya, strobes last a long time. i would rather have too much stobe to begin with and grow with it if/when i upgrade a camera system...

no point having a tiny stobe that is only good for real close macro work, then regret that later and have to buy a more powerful one down the road.

The Inons are a good bet

alcina:
Ummm, first I've ever heard of this "rule of thumb". I would always plan on spending at least as much on a strobe as I would on a compact camera. And that's at least. I would now budget roughly $450US ish for a strobe, which is how much I paid for my Inon 240 from Yuzo. I'd make my upper end around $700US ish.

Expensive? Maybe, depends on your needs. I still have strobes from the early 90s so getting 10 years out of a strobe as it moves through system after system with you isn't bad...ymmv

The bases of the "rule of thumb"...a digital compact camera has more expensive and complex parts when compared to a simple U/W strobe with about $15 worth of electronics in a plastic case. The camera has complex electronics, CCD sensor, LCD display, quality lens with a motor drive focus and zoom, auto exposure flash sytem built in!

The strobe has a charge cap., flash bulb, switches, analog electronics in a plastic case. Yes I have taken apart many strobes and yes I am in the electronics business.
The cost to make an average strobe is about $20... if from China even cheaper.

Ah....so really it's "Rule of F3Nikon"! :wink:

Got it! :D

If they are so cheap to manufacture...and you know how it's done - considering what people will pay for them I'm surprised you don't have your own brand for sale - you'd make a fortune!!!!!

Kim:
Ah....so really it's "Rule of F3Nikon"! :wink:

Got it! :D

If they are so cheap to manufacture...and you know how it's done - considering what people will pay for them I'm surprised you don't have your own brand for sale - you'd make a fortune!!!!!

Is that suppose to be fair and balance or are you just trying to start something? Stick to the facts... if you have strobe drawings or plans that back up your position, we can discuss this subject based on facts. :no

Its all about what the market will bear and the consumer's lack of information of these products, until just recently many here had the misconception that the U/W non-Nikon strobes will fire a pre-flash to make the iTTL work.

And yes there are cheaper strobes that work very well, that is why the popular strobe makers want them out of business.

f3nikon:
Is that suppose to be fair an balance or are you just trying to start something? Stick to the facts... if you have strobe drawings or plans that back up your position, we can discuss this subject based on facts. :no
What are you talking about?

You just posted that basically I probably paid around 20X more than the manufacturing cost for my strobe. I don't have any plans for anything - I didn't claim anything....you did.

It seems reasonable to expect you to back up the kind of post that you made with some kind of facts...no? I'm sure lots of people would be more than interested to see if their particular strobe was included in your "average strobe" list so they could compare your posted manufacturing cost against what they paid. Of course - they'll probably expect some sort of proof that you've got your numbers right!
Out of curiosity - is an Inon D-180 an "average strobe" that cost about $20 to make?

f3nikon:
And yes there are cheaper strobes that work very well, that is why the popular strobe makers want them out of business.
OK....I'll pay double....no triple the manufacturing cost!!! What can I get for $60?

And what about the Chinese ones? Where can I get them?

f3nikon:
Is that suppose to be fair and balance or are you just trying to start something? Stick to the facts... if you have strobe drawings or plans that back up your position, we can discuss this subject based on facts. :no

Its all about what the market will bear and the consumer's lack of information of these products, until just recently many here had the misconception that the U/W non-Nikon strobes will fire a pre-flash to make the iTTL work.

I have a $450 Inon strobe...I don't feel smart after reading this.

I'll just wait for the F3 brand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom