Recommendations for 'Going Pro' in the Caribbean/Central America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I am thinking of going off to do my Divemaster course in January. I would like to do it somewhere in the Caribbean/Central America. I currently have eighty logged dives. Eleven of those were done in St. John (USVI), and the other sixty-nine were in Koh Tao (Thailand). Currently I am a SSI 'Master Diver,' so I have no need for any of those 'Zero to Hero' packages - solely the DM course. Here is what I am looking for:

1. High quality instruction - Don't think this one needs explaining.

2. Decent diving - Having only dove St. John and KT, my standards aren't too high here. I recognize that KT is considered 'ok' diving. Any place that has diving at KT's level (or better!) sounds good to me. There is plenty of time to experience all the truly amazing dive locations later.

3. Price - While the cheapest course probably won't be the way to go, I am looking for a 'competitively priced' DM program.

4. Location - Decent accommodation, decent food, decently safe, etc. I don't drink, so nightlife isn't terribly relevant.

Anyhow, hope I spelled out my interests clearly enough. Thank you.

I'm finishing up my DM program today in Roatan with Coconut Tree Divers. PADI Divemaster and Instructor internship Roatan Bay Islands Honduras. I've been happy with the staff I've met and worked with here. I'll be starting the IDC tomorrow with their CD, Will (Bay Island Diver here on SB).

Are you wanting to stay with SSI?

You might consider Bonaire. It can be reasonable to stay there off-water, I'm pretty sure Toucan Diving does a DM program, and they're SSI. Actually I saw more SSI shops on Bonaire than just about anywhere else I've been in the Caribbean. Besides Toucan, I think Bonaire Dive/Adventure was one. (since I'm SSI, I notice that) It's also one of the "amazing" dive locations. Obviously the other big draw is the 60+ shore dive sites. And their official currency is now the US Dollar.

Another option might be DiveBVI on Virgin Gorda. Excellent dive operation so I'm sure their training would be also. VG is far from the cheapest place to stay however. Their GM/Instructor Trainer, Jeff McNutt, is [user]vgdiver[/user] here.

I think Divetech on Grand Cayman is also an SSI facility but it's also another expensive place to stay. Food there, although high, can be more reasonable since they have Subway, Burger King, Dominos, KFC, Hard Rock etc. Groceries were really high though. One of our DM's was an instructor trainee, he said it cost him a fortune when he first arrived until he found a shared apt. with 3 others. Also you can shore dive very reasonably. It's another "amazing" location.

If you wanted to cross to PADI, I second the recommendation for Coconut Tree Divers. Good people, most of our afternoon boat dives had one or more DM trainees onboard so it seems like you'd get to dive regularly. They have a $5/nt. shared dorm cabin for people training with them. Will and several of their staff helped us out during an emergency.

Since you're going to be doing a lot of diving, one thing to consider is that there's no chamber on Virgin Gorda.

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated.

I am pretty open to being with either PADI, or SSI. I will definitely look into all of the places you guys have recommended!

Come check us out in Costa Rica with Oceans Unlimited and Go Pro Costa Rica. We have a high level of instruction, with a competetively priced program. There are testimonials on the website to check out from previous students if you want. I would send out some emails to the different centers and she what response you get back. You can get a feel for a good fit for you from that. Good luck and happy bubbling !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom