Recommendations for Monterey drysuit certification course, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I will be in Monterey on the weekend of Sept 7-9, 2012, and we're hoping to get drysuit certified. Does anyone have recommendations for:
  • An experienced local instructor
  • A dive center that rents out drysuits, tanks, weights for the course

It would be great if we can get some ideas about the course fee, drysuit rental fee. We will bring our own scuba gear.

Thanks in advance!:)

Try Bruce at Aquarius on Del Monte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot, I've dropped Bamboo Reef an email :)

A recommendation for a friendly instructor who still loves diving would be great!

That's why I recommended Bruce. You won't find more experience or love for diving. Besides, I saw him training an instructor how to teach drysuit classes.

That's why I recommended Bruce. You won't find more experience or love for diving. Besides, I saw him training an instructor how to teach drysuit classes.
Thanks fisheater. I had an unpleasant experience with Aquarius in general, when I went with them for a leisure dive. I think I'm going to try another dive operator this time. Does Bruce freelance, do you know?

Keep in mind that there's 2 Aquarius'. The one near the dive site Breakwater is less friendly than the one on Del Monte (near the naval post graduate school).

Bruce co-owns the shop on Del Monte, so in a way yes. When I was looking for DM jobs, Aquarius on Del Monte was hiring DM's as private contractors. You have your own personal insurance instead of a umbrella shop policy. I think that's been their policy and still is.

I take it that the shop simply takes applications as a way to gather a list of DM's they can contact.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks fisheater. I had an unpleasant experience with Aquarius in general, when I went with them for a leisure dive. I think I'm going to try another dive operator this time. Does Bruce freelance, do you know?

I'd like to hear more about this experience, because I don't have anything in my records which indicates you have ever been in this shop.

Bruce

FWIW: When I bought my first dry suit (back in '89) I requested a pool/training session as part of the sale. In my case the "training" boiled down to the instructor saying "go to the deep end, get inverted, and figure out what to do about it". :D But it was still useful. You can likely get a bit more than that.

Have you considered expanding your search to include the bay area shops?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom