Recommendations for Monterey drysuit certification course, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to hear more about this experience, because I don't have anything in my records which indicates you have ever been in this shop.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I dived with Aquarius on Oct 10, 2010, Wesley Sawyer took my booking. I still have the email from Wesley dated 9/18/10 acknowledging my booking.

The DM I had was excellent. The only problem I had was with the amount of lead I was forced to carry, despite explaining to the shop staff that I wouldn't be comfortable with so much lead. I admit I'm not very experienced with cold water diving, but in retrospect I should not have let anyone second-guess my own judgment about weight configuration. I didn't want the shop to cancel my dive, so I went along with the excessive lead.

At the time of the dive, I've had over 400 dives, some in temperate waters (as low as 60F), so I was sure I didn't need 28lbs of lead AND a steel tank. I bargained it down to 24lbs and I still sank like an anchor during the dive. I was wearing a 10mm wetsuit with hood and gloves. I dived with my BCD half full at all times just so I don't walk on the seafloor. Although I was not very comfortable throughout the dive, it was still a good dive. When I exited, however, a huge wave knocked me down to the soft sinking sand. I literally flopped down, and had to ask the DM to help take the gear off me so I could stand.

So, in general, it was not a very pleasant experience for me. I'm sure it was partly my fault, but I don't think underestimating my experience and ignoring my discomfort were right either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom