Recommendations for Utila/Guanaja.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hpbelize

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Thinking of going to Utila on a dive holiday. Been to Roatan already. AKR. Will be traveling with my newly certified wife. I do not have any connections in Utila but always wanted to go there and this is mostly for her dive experience as I am happy just to be on vacation and be able to dive. I almost have gills but my wife just got her OW cert. Any recommendations? Thanx in advance.

Utila has a broad range of dive operators from top-end AI resorts and liveaboard to probably-the-cheapest-in-the-world dive packages.

There is a thread that just started here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/299740-utila-discounts-30-dive-packages.html that you may want to check out - it has info about dive vacation on Utila.

What kind of budget are on?

For beginners Utila is a great place to start to pick up some more experience. A good variety of dive sites suitable for newer divers and the same dive sites often offer something for the more experienced diver as well.

You may also want to consider an Advanced course to help your wife pick up her dive experience and skills. They are only 2 or 3 days and we find most new divers really benefit from it. If you are diving with the dive centers you will find that an Advanced course with 7 dives will cost about the same as a 10 dive package, and includes the certification, etc and you would be able to accompany her on those dives. Just a suggestion.

hth,
-Rob

Thanks Rob. AOW is definitely an option. I don't have a set budget yet. I know I can fly directly to Roatan then maybe ferry over to Utila. Not very fund of liveaboards. I'll look into the new thread as well.

I know I can fly directly to Roatan then maybe ferry over to Utila.
You can do that but you have to go back to La Ceiba first. As long as you can get to the ferry on Roatan b4 2PM, you can be on Utila just after 5PM. We just did it in March. There's also puddle-jumper options from San Pedro Sula or La Ceiba if you can get there easier.

Details on the ferries, note that the Princess docks adjacent to the Galaxy. And the Princess we were on wasn't the one pictured. But the schedule info is still correct. First class is worth the extra $10 on the Galaxy, it's a better view, A/C and a movie.

Safeway Maritime Ferry - Roatan to La Ceiba
Utila Princess - Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras

Hi hp. As Rob said Utila is a great place for beginner divers. The sea here is like a bath, 28-30C / 82-86F right now, calm, a great place for your wife to build her confidence in diving. There have also been recent whaleshark and dolphin sightings even out of season and every dive is as exciting as the last with the chance to see turtles, spotted eagle rays, sting rays, nurse shark and much more.

If you are flying into Roatan and want to come direct to Utila there is a daily Catamaran ferry run by Captain Vern for $55pp. You'll be able to find him easily once you arrive in Roatan. Just ask in any hotel or dive shop. Otherwise you can take the ferry from Roatan to La Ceiba then another ferry to Utila for about $50pp.

If you're wife is interested in doing the advanced course we at Utila Watersports are the only dive shop on the island to offer 4 free fun dives with every course so that's 9 dives instead of 7 for the same price. We offer the extra dives because we believe that improving our divers confidence in the water is essential to a great diving experience.

If you're interested in finding out more about the island and diving then google Utila Watersports and drop us a message. We'll be happy to hear from you.

The Team
Utila Watersports

Not sure which direct flight you're looking at, but it's always a good idea to e-mail Capt. Vern ahead of time. That way he knows you're coming & if it's close to his 1pm departure time they can wait etc. He can be reached at vfine@hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom