Recommendations on Cheap Photo Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Definition of Cheap: Less than $100
Yes, I am aware strobes are a MUST-HAVE and AMAZING and no photographer can live without them, BUT I am new in this game...testing out the waters with a camera and have a low budget so lights it is for me folks.

Please feel free to laugh at the proposed question of getting a decent light (or any) for under $100 for a camera (1" ball mount is what my system currently has).

Thanks for letting me pick your brains.
Yes, strobes are better. Yes, I should just save up money and drop $250+ on a better light.
Think of this as the impossible challenge though. You have $100 or less and NEED a light. :)
Thanks again!

I've gotten some decent shots with my GoPro and this dive light. The wide beam helps with not having a hot spot.

Bigblue Dive Lights

Something like the Archon D11V is inexpensive and will be ok. You could get 2 for less than $100 off Amazon.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice!

Strobes/lights are not an absolute must have, especially if you are just getting into the game. I started doing UW photography just a few months ago (having been a semi-serious land photographer for many years) and didn't want to make a big investment until I first checked it out, practiced maintaining buoyancy while shooting, learned some things about underwater light and composition, etc. I decided to shoot with ambient light to keep things simple until I was more comfortable with the whole concept. I bought a relatively inexpensive housing for an old Canon s110 I already had, and it's worked out well. However, if you do shoot ambient light, you will need to shoot in RAW mode so you can adjust white balance. You can get some half decent shots

IMG_1673_Enhancer.jpg

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

Thanks Mi000ke! Great pics and glad I can get some decent shots without strobes!

Yeah, I'd just say go without until you have $300+ to spend on something decent. Or try to rent (maybe buy used, then resell after trip). I shot underwater without a strobe for years before plunking down cash for one. If your dives are 50ft or shallower, you can still get fun shots and learn how to use your camera and manage everything underwater. Shoot RAW and you can play with your white balance a bit afterwards.

That said, shooting with a strobe is a HUGE improvement in image quality. I've played with cheap dive lights before, and they weren't anywhere close to a strobe (and I just have a single at the moment).

Get a wide angle dive light. Hold it off to the side, so it doesn't light up the particulates in front of your lens (between your subject and your camera). the hold purpose of strobes is to provide light for the moment you need it. There's nothing saying you can't keep the subject lit longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom