Recommendations on family vacation in Andaman Sea area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caz777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello beautiful people.

I hope that some of you can help me out with some advice. I am planning a trip to the andaman sea area in February 2014. He expect to have somewhere between 10-14 nights in Thailand.

We will most likely be 5 people for the trip. Me and my wife (who are AOW with around 150 dives each), our infant (8 months old at the time) and my parents. My father is somewhat handicapped, having only minor walking capability (he can walk perhaps 100 meters at a time). So he will be bringing a wheel chair, and thus there is some considerations regarding getting around.

My wife and I would love to dive as much as possible. Due to our infant, liveaboards and too many full day trips are probably out of the question. So a combination of good "shore/local" dives and longer boat trips for special dives is probably the way to go.

I am mainly looking at Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta and Krabi. But if there are areas which would be more suited I am really interested in hearing about them. Of the ones I mention, are there any of them that are better suited for our restrictions (child friendly and handicap friendly)?

Regarding the diving, I have a little trouble figuring out how long boat trips to the better sites are from the different areas.

Here I am mainly thinking about Hin Muang/Daeng, Sharkpoint, Anemone Reef, Koh Ha. Seems that I see very diverging numbers (both for speed boat and slow boat). Is it possible to go for Richeliu from one of the three areas I mentioned as a day trip?

Which of the areas have the best nearby diving (15-20 min from resort to site).

Furthermore I would love to have specific recommendations for both dive ops and resorts. If you have specific knowledge regarding our restrictions, that would be a welcome bonus :). For accomodation are probably looking at good quality resorts without necessarily being the most expensive ones, since my parents would probably prefer a little luxury (were it only my wife and I, we would be satisfied with a simple bed, and a shower :)).

thanks in advance!

Casper Nygaard

Hello beautiful people.
Hi Caspar. You've been doing quite a bit of strategic thinking. Let's see if I can provide a little insight. I'm quoting selected parts of your original post.

I am mainly looking at Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta and Krabi. But if there are areas which would be more suited I am really interested in hearing about them. Of the ones I mention, are there any of them that are better suited for our restrictions (child friendly and handicap friendly)?
I think you would find Phi Phi particularly restrictive for your father. There are no roads on Phi Phi so he would be limited to the resort pretty much the entire time since moving from place to place on the island means taking a boat, which means carrying a wheelchair onto a small vessel (often a longtail boat). So for that reason alone, I'd cross Phi Phi off the list. The tourist area that people refer to as 'Krabi' is a city, so he will have an easier time getting around. Lanta has a road, and while most resorts are not in a town setting, getting around will be okay. Lanta is also very family-oriented, so there are resorts with facilities for children and child-minders to help out.

My wife and I would love to dive as much as possible. Due to our infant, liveaboards and too many full day trips are probably out of the question. So a combination of good "shore/local" dives and longer boat trips for special dives is probably the way to go.
I'm afraid this isn't easy. The norm is full day trips and there is very little shore diving. From Krabi, you can find speedboat daytrips to nice dive sites around Phi Phi and Shark Point that won't keep you away the whole day.

Regarding the diving, I have a little trouble figuring out how long boat trips to the better sites are from the different areas.

Here I am mainly thinking about Hin Muang/Daeng, Sharkpoint, Anemone Reef, Koh Ha. Seems that I see very diverging numbers (both for speed boat and slow boat).
Hin Daeng is a long way from everywhere, even from Lanta (the nearest of your three areas) by speedboat. You will definitely not find any half-day trips there. From Krabi, by speedboat, you can get two dives at Shark Point or Phi Phi with a shorter day, but it won't be just a quick out and back--this is a four to six hour excursion.

Is it possible to go for Richeliu from one of the three areas I mentioned as a day trip?
No.

Which of the areas have the best nearby diving (15-20 min from resort to site).
Phi Phi.

thanks in advance
Hope that helps a little!

For short daytrips Phi Phi would be the best option, for your father Phi Phi would be the worst option. Sorry, but you're going to have to make choices (or go to 2 different locations).

Phuket has the best variety in daytrips, including Similans and Richelieu Rock with a bit of effort, so I really would recommend to stay some of the time here. But with your parents there as well to look after your kid while you go diving, I would consider a liveaboard seriously.

I would consider Krabi being a good choice given your father and baby will be along with you. Nice and quiet still lots to see and do topside and while Phi Phi's topography will be a challenge for your father - Krabi has the fantastic Railay Beach which given his ability to walk 100m you may be able to do an afternoon there to watch the sunset if his wheelchair is foldable as you need to take a long tail out there. Superday (King Cruiser/Anenome Reef/Shark Point) and babysitting available from Krabi along with the local sites.

You also might consider the Khao Lak area.
• Access is fairly easy once you fly in to Phuket and also locally for getting around.
• There are family-friendly and limited mobility-accessible resorts.
• There are daytrips available to Richelieu.
• There are daytrips to the Similans as well for reef dives.
• There isn't much local diving, but there are a couple of diveable wrecks that can be done as halfday dive trips. Especially interesting is the wonderful Boonsung wreck.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

It seems Phi Phi is out of the question.

I am looking more into both Koh Lanta, Krabi (Ao Nang) and Khao Lak.

Going to Hin Daeng/Muang is fairly high on my wish list, and it seems that from Koh Lanta that is reachable by speed boat in 1 hour, which is nice.

How long is the speed boat trip from Khao Lak to Richeliu?

And which of the two are most recommended in your opinions? Daytrips from Koh Lanta--> Hin Daeng or Khao Lak --> Richeliu.

The local diving from Khao Lak and Ao Nang, how "good/bad" is it compared to great sites? Is it something where experienced divers will feel bored, or are they only considered "not that interesting" due to world class sites nearby?

Anyone have specific Dive Op/hotel recommendations in both either Khao Lak, Ao Nang og Koh Lanta? Are there a big difference between staying in the northern or southern part of Koh Lanta, both in regards to dive availability and scenery?

Thanks in advance!

In Krabi I can definitely recommend Daniel at Poseidon Dive Center Scuba Diving Ao Nang Krabi Thailand - in Phuket if you decide to go there I have received nothing but great service from StevenL

Regarding the question of local diving - its a subjective thing isnt it? What is a great dive site? While id consider RR great diving I dont consider it as good as Alotoa in PNG. Local islands Ao Nang, on a good viz day can be really good fun diving....the cavern is a lovely site - Phi Phi to me is not world class, Hin Daeng was impressive but not as good as RR IMO..I guess its all about opinions. The boat schedule for Ao Nang is on that link I posted so I guess you can look at that say do the superday and a couple of other days local diving then head to Lanta. I like Lanta diving too, but find myself bored there after about 5 days diving. As you have done RR why not the Lanta > Hin Daeng option this time? Was a long trip out there but I really enjoyed it and had some pilot whales show up so I guess it all comes down to if we are lucky on the day.

Hotels..id def not recommend the Grand Centara in Ao Nang. No recent experience with Lanta or Khao Lak hotels to make any valid recommendations sorry. I must say well done to you for putting in a good amount of research to pull together a trip for a family esp with a young child and your fathers needs. What is your budget roughly per night for hotels? Are you looking for value, luxury or a combination of both or mid range?

I really enjoyed my time on Koh Lanta. We stayed in Kantiang Bay which is down towards the southern end of the island. Dived Hin Daeng & Hin Muang, Koh Haa and other dive sites up towards Koh Phi Phi with ScubaFish which is based in Kantiang Bay, very good dive op IMO. These are however full day trips as is almost all the diving in the Andaman Sea side of Thailand. We stayed at a place called Phra Nang Lanta which is directly onto the beach in Kantiang Bay and has ground-floor rooms that would suit your family.

Just as an aside and considering the limited mobility of your father, you can reach the island of Koh Lanta from Krabi airport entirely by road and car ferry meaning your dad doesn't even have to leave the vehicle (unless of course he wants to).

Hi there

Ko Racha also known ans Ko Raya has reasonable diving ten minutes or so away. I stayed in a very nice mid range resort , Ban Raya , which has good snorkelling off its house reef. There is a branch of Raya Divers in or very near the resort. This is Finnish run and very friendly and organised at the same time. The island is beautiful with some beautiful beaches.

Otherwise Ko Lanta is probably your best bet , Khao Lak is also very good ,but the dive sites are further away.

Best fishes x

Both Hin Daeng/ Hin Muang and Richelieu Rock are really, really nice sites. I really can't advice between the 2.

The other daytrips in the area to places like Bida Islands, Shark Point area etc are also very nice diving, so yes, really worth a few daytrips out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom