recommendations on how to keep octo from dangling with a zeagle zena?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ambdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for pictures AND recommendations of the best way to keep my octo from touching or dangling on the bottom. i Just bought a Zeagle Zena and cant quite figure out how to clip my octo and spg up. A lot of my d rings are placed close together making it feel like i have all my equipment crossing each other right in front of me. Help please! thanks

For the octopus I use something like this, but without that strap - just a keyring in the hole. Just stuck the mouthpiece into the egg. Works OK for me, better that other octo holders. I have no experience with Zena. Dunno where to clip what. I would expect that the octo goes from behind under your right arm to the D-ring, the SPG from behind under your left arm. I can't see clearly from the picture wether Zena has D-rings on the shoulders. But there is something like a plastic ring near the fastex buckle. Perhaps you can hang the yellow egg there? From there the octo would be easy to find and grab.

For the SPG I tied a bolt snap to the HP hose, close to the swivel. A pretty big one to be able to unclip it with thick gloves. Here is how to do that. Many divers actually wear the SPG on the left hip D-ring, around the area where Zena also has one. With a little practise it's easy to unclip also from there. But if you clip it to one of the middle rings, may be you could see it without unclipping. What else have you got that is crossing each other in front of you?

I would tie a bolt snap also to the primary second stage to clip it away when you don't use it.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking about. If I wrote a nonsense, sorry about that. :blinking:

Last edited:
I use something similar for my Octo. It can be shaped like a ball or the mouthpiece and just has a large split ring that I clip to my left chest D-ring. My SPG I stick in my pocket or clip on my lower left. What is nice about the cover, the mouthpiece is clean from sand, etc. and is easy to grab.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=gcsSearch&Term=octo holder#!1

I use the DR holder on the SPG HP hose. I free my SPG before submerging. And leave it loose throughout the dive.

Large mouthpieces such as AL Comfo-bite or Poseiden may require a large holder.

One of the first things I did with the D rings on the shoulder straps was to move them close to the vest instead of hanging at the end of the strap. Then I looped one of those silicone snorkel keepers through the D ring and put the mouthpiece of the octo through the other end. That keeps my octo tied up close to my body with only about a 3" dangle.

I looked for a picture, but I keep my arms crossed across my body when I dive, which blocks the view of my octo. Since I don't have my gear here, I can't take a picture for you either. :(

Get a piece of surgical tubing and two zip ties for your octo. Don't waste money on those other things. Affectionately known as scum balls. They accumulate lots of crap. For your SPG ties a bolt snap to it near the connection with the hose and clip it to your left hip D ring.

Jim, can you explain how to use the surgical tubing and zip ties to secure the octo? I'm just failing to follow. Thanks.

That's why I use one of the silicone snorkel keepers....the one that's a flat piece of silicone with holes at each end. Super easy to loop through, but the real key is to move the D rings so they're laying flat against the vest instead of dangling on the strap.

Bunggy neckless zip tied to the mouth piece of the alternate and donate the primary in an OOA.

You can use a retractor, the ones w/a pin that screws into the retractor, so it can be attached at different points on your bc...Then a ty-wrap w/a loop [they're called 'mounting ties' ] placed on your octo...The ring from the retractor goes to the loop on the ty-wrap.......If you need the octo, it's readily available and can be unbuckled from the retractor........

Back
Top Bottom