Recommended Dive Operators out of Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I read in Diver (UK) not too long ago about taking mini safaris from El Gouna. The OP said he only had time for a liveaboard if it was 2-3 days.

If something other than Sharm is an option, you should do some www-surfing and see where else you can catch a minisafari.

What about Red Sea college? Seems I've heard a fair bit about them too.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the bigger operators. Emperor are often referred to as the "English" operator, and they do generally seem to have a higher proportion of Brits on board. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on your opinion of Brits :wink:

I've never been to Sharm - I was always put off by the tales of queues of divers waiting to board the day boats - but I guess that was in the heyday and not so much now.

I've been to El Gouna just north of Hurghada (30 miles) - that was in 2007 when I did my OW so I can't personally vouch for the diving (given I was new to diving and everything was amazing with no reference) although I believe it to be good still. You don't get big stuff but they can avoid the Hurghada boat by going a bit further north.

This year I was on a Blue O Two liveaboard (actually it was a Red Sea diver boat but they're the same company) Out of Marsa Al Salam. Mostly english but then we took 12 of us from our club in Dubai.

Diving - okay Yes great Vis, and we saw a few sharks - nothing spectacular. lots of small juvenile and pretty reefs but missing the middle size fish. The lack of sharks could have been due to the summer temperature - the following week on the Brothers they had Hammerheads.

Personally I'm done with Egypt - not so much for the security but because the diving isn't as great as it should be. But its all relative - we have lots of life here and going away reinforces how lucky we are. For me the Maldives is better but I'll admit its only a 4 hour flight from Dubai which makes it cheaper than if I lived in Europe.

For off the beaten track I would recommend Oman and the Daymaniyat islands. A few weeks ago a group of friend went there for a long weekend and had 10 whale sharks and numerous black and white tip encounters. Muscat is lovely - Clean - not touristy and a taste of the real Arabia and the dive sites aren't' chock full. The Vis can be variable from 20-30m to green and 5-10m

I have not been in Sharm for 10 years but I always used Oonas Divers in Naama Bay, accommodation above the dive shop was very comfortable and the dive op pretty good.

From Europe it is difficult to give up Egypt. After downing the russian jet, of course the family is begging me not to go in February - if package/travel restrictions come to the Marsa Alam region I might reconsider.

BTW how is Oman in February? (just in case my Marsa Alam plans are busted...)
I've never been to Sharm - I was always put off by the tales of queues of divers waiting to board the day boats - but I guess that was in the heyday and not so much now.

I've been to El Gouna just north of Hurghada (30 miles) - that was in 2007 when I did my OW so I can't personally vouch for the diving (given I was new to diving and everything was amazing with no reference) although I believe it to be good still. You don't get big stuff but they can avoid the Hurghada boat by going a bit further north.

This year I was on a Blue O Two liveaboard (actually it was a Red Sea diver boat but they're the same company) Out of Marsa Al Salam. Mostly english but then we took 12 of us from our club in Dubai.

Diving - okay Yes great Vis, and we saw a few sharks - nothing spectacular. lots of small juvenile and pretty reefs but missing the middle size fish. The lack of sharks could have been due to the summer temperature - the following week on the Brothers they had Hammerheads.

Personally I'm done with Egypt - not so much for the security but because the diving isn't as great as it should be. But its all relative - we have lots of life here and going away reinforces how lucky we are. For me the Maldives is better but I'll admit its only a 4 hour flight from Dubai which makes it cheaper than if I lived in Europe.

For off the beaten track I would recommend Oman and the Daymaniyat islands. A few weeks ago a group of friend went there for a long weekend and had 10 whale sharks and numerous black and white tip encounters. Muscat is lovely - Clean - not touristy and a taste of the real Arabia and the dive sites aren't' chock full. The Vis can be variable from 20-30m to green and 5-10m

i dove with Ocean College Diving Home | Ocean College in late September. It is popular with UK divers and the vast majority of the folks on the boat were repeat customers who were familiar with other operators. Ocean Collegte also have a great website and it was too simple to book a package on-line. They offer a great hot lunch on the boat for about 60 EP. Thorough dive briefings and knowledgeable guides. And for your 3rd dive, just let them know when you book that you are interested and then confirm on the day of the dive. There were no check out dives per se, but I believe everyone had to do a weight check. In any event, I was very impressed with their operation and have no hesitation recommending them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom