Recommended Snorkel Vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdude

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone try the scubapro "cruiser" snorkeling vest as compared to the standard "bib" snorkeling vest?

In pictures the cruiser type seems to have a sort of built in rash guard on the back and I like that it's form fitting. Alternatively the standard bib type would be my other choice.

Anyone have good/back feedback on using these?

My wife is not a strong swimmer so I bought her a jacket style snorkling vest to use. She loves it, and says it is more comfortable than the older "horse collar" type.
That one seems pretty expensive though. You may be able to find cheaper ones searching around the internet.
Good luck.

I am not a proponent of orally inflated snorkeling vests. I believe it is far safer and comfortable to dive with a wetsuit for buoyancy and a weight belt to counterbalance it.

You can nearly instantly drop a belt any point of a dive, including on the bottom. Just make sure weight is adjusted so you are still buoyant on the surface. Adjust weight for neutral at your desired depth. The suits and lungs compress even in 6' of water. Besides, the abrasion and sun protection afforded by a suit is worth it alone.

As much as I hate to depart from the original poster"s question I'm inclined to agree. A person who is a natural sinker can be come a comfortable floater with a modest wetsuit and be well protected. From there a weight belt may be desired for a little diving down fun.

I have heard of some destinations that require a vest of some sort when snorkeling and in that case so be it.

Pete

I am not a proponent of orally inflated snorkeling vests. I believe it is far safer and comfortable to dive with a wetsuit for buoyancy and a weight belt to counterbalance it.

You can nearly instantly drop a belt any point of a dive, including on the bottom. Just make sure weight is adjusted so you are still buoyant on the surface. Adjust weight for neutral at your desired depth. The suits and lungs compress even in 6' of water. Besides, the abrasion and sun protection afforded by a suit is worth it alone.

+1 to that

To answer your question, the cheapest one you can find....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom