Recommended technical harnesses and wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bp/w yes
I think their backup lights are dated and overpriced, though they are nice.
The Focus 2.0 is really nice, but I don't like the head size. I think there are better options out there, but I'm not convinced you need a canister light with the burn time of some of the backup lights out there. Your Big Blue 1200np is putting out the same light quantity as a 10w HID which was the standard primary light for many many years. Burntime is a bit limited, but you can get something with that much output and long enough burntime to use as a primary light for now and use it as a backup light if/when you need the burn time of a canister

So in the mean time until I would really need a canister light, perhaps a good option would be the Big Blue TL 4500P (4500 lumens) and a wrist strap and make that my primary with the 1200np as a backup? Or are there better primary options out there? Even though it wasn't the original thread topic, I would appreciate any input you have.

[QUOTE="Chase Kaplan, post: 8363512, member:
I have my eye on the Scubapro X-Tek range but if there are any more preferable choices, I would greatly appreciate to heaer of them.

Avoid anything that has X or "Tek" written on it.

Last edited:
So in the mean time until I would really need a canister light, perhaps a good option would be the Big Blue TL 4500P (4500 lumens) and a wrist strap and make that my primary with the 1200np as a backup? Or are there better primary options out there? Even though it wasn't the original thread topic, I would appreciate any input you have.

I'd ask your instructor if you can borrow a can light for the course so you can deal with a cord. If you get properly hooked and want to stay with Halcyon, the Focus 2.0 is one of the best handhelds on the market right now and has more than enough burn time for most people.
I think the Dive Rite HP50 or LX20 if money is of concern are both better than the Big Blue, but that's just me.

I'd ask your instructor if you can borrow a can light for the course so you can deal with a cord. If you get properly hooked and want to stay with Halcyon, the Focus 2.0 is one of the best handhelds on the market right now and has more than enough burn time for most people.
I think the Dive Rite HP50 or LX20 if money is of concern are both better than the Big Blue, but that's just me.

I think for convenience at the moment, Big Blue is probably the best available option as they are the torches that are readily available whereas Dive Rite would need to be imported. In terms of canister lights, I see that Edd sells those lights you mentioned in the PM so I'll check those out after I've tried out a canister light with my instructor. Thanks, Tom!

[QUOTE="Chase Kaplan, post: 8363512, member:
I have my eye on the Scubapro X-Tek range but if there are any more preferable choices, I would greatly appreciate to heaer of them.

Avoid anything that has X or "Tek" written on it.
I can second that, started out with the Xtek harness, BP, and wing from Scubapro. All I have left of it now is the BP and Wing. I wish I would have bought the Diverite plate as the holes for my buttplate would match up with it. I also have a Diverite wing now as well since no one else has a dual bladder wing for doubles with only 45lbs of lift.

I've been in the process of choosing a harness, backplate and wing. Which, according to you guys, are the best harnesses and wings on the market?
I have, and dive, backplates with Dive Rite, OMS and Frogman Jerry brand 'labels'. I find no differences between them - for MY technical diving.

I prefer simple rigs, but I also like - and have installed - a single quick release in the left shoulder strap on most of my harnesses. That comes in handy with doubles, and drysuits. It is also simply a personal preference.

I have, and dive, Halcyon, Dive Rite, Oxycheq, and Apeks wings. I find no differences between them - for MY technical diving.

Much of my gear has been purchased used, on eBay. I find no problem using used gear - for MY technical diving.

I admit that I particularly like my Halcyon wings, but that is because I find Halcyon to provide great customer service, notwithstanding their 'pricey-ness'. I see no reason to have a matched set - BP and wing from the same manufacturer.

These are simply my preferences. They have worked for me for many years. I cannot say that one brand is better than another from the perspective of quality or durability.

If you will be diving wet and need to have the absolutely lightest setup possible to avoid being overweighted, the carbon fiber Halcyon backplate is amazing. Spendy, but I love mine. I'm still just a hair negative in my 5mm and mostly empty AL80s, but so much better than my old steel or aluminum plates were.

Scubapro X-tek plate used to be manufactured by Halcyon. Not sure if it is still the case now. That generation of x-tek plate is very high quality. SP doesn't make the best wing IMO. And they aren't cheap. If you have the SP budget, I think you may as well get Halcyon brand.

For Hollis, just don't do it. Their stuff is very expansive for the quality you receive. Plus their inability (even they are actually willing to) to support their products makes ownership very frustrated especially at their cost. I have nothing but regret with their regulators, canister light and a set of bp/w, which at this point, I no long have anymore. Their resale value in used market also stink.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom