Record deep dive challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting into a chamber at couple of hundred feet to deco would invalidate the dive when the objective was to go 1000FSW? How stupid, and not all that safe IMO. A lot can go wrong during 15 hours of in water deco.
I believe that for the record, it is a requirement to finish the dive as a dive. A raw beginner can down go to 1,000 feet; it's coming back from that descent that makes the difference.

And I agree that the entire quest to do the deepest dive is foolish. It leads to unfortunate events like the Doctor Deep fiasco, in which people did try to prove that a raw beginner can go to 1,000 feet and set a record without paying a whole lot of attention to the coming back part.

It is TOTALLY stupid but one has to take the local culture in Egypt into consideration here. With the current regime in power, the Sisi gang, they are always trying to appear the "bestest" the "strongest" the "deepest" to compensate for their failures in running the country and their bloody brutalities and crimes with propaganda stunts like what happened here. Jaber is a member of the Egyptian military who are seeking to appear as a regional "super power." Not too long ago they fraudulently claimed that they found a cure for various serious medical ailments just for propaganda to improve their image and perception in the world scene, all of these claims were false and not true at all. Typical of dictatorships and police states in the region. Lots of fanfare and show off without much substance on the inside.

Typical of wannabe dictatorships and wannabe police states [DELETE]in the region[/DELETE]. Lots of fanfare and showoff without much substance on the inside.
Fixed that for you.

Kind of irrelevant, even if your guess were true. Sealab ended more than 50 years ago (a LOT has been learned since then), decompressing too quickly and then going into a chamber is standard Navy protocol, since chambers are always at the surface, ready, for any working dive, and the Sealab divers were saturated at the lab depth (610 ft for Sealab III) so returning to the surface was not an option. Yes, they did excursions to deeper than 610 ft and then returned to 610 ft to off-gas back to being saturated at that depth. But you know all that, so what was your point again?

Sorry you missed the point. Maybe next time.

Fixed that for you.

Lol. They are indeed a failure in everything with lots of fraudulent claims. They can't compete with Trump however :p

Lol. They are indeed a failure in everything with lots of fraudulent claims. They can't compete with Trump however :p

I’ve been passively following this thread so far but decided to chime in to say the following: one thing I love about Scubaboard is that it is a place I can come to and talk about or read about a subject that I love and not have to think about politics.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Any further off-topic posts will be deleted without further notice.

Unnecessary bickering may result in the same fate.

Otherwise, good thread. Let's keep it together.

’ve been passively following this thread so far but decided to chime in to say the following: one thing I love about Scubaboard is that it is a place I can come to and talk about or read about a subject that I love and not have to think about politics.

Best you avoid the "PUB" then :D

But I totally agree with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom