Record dive for me - 5 Hours. ...in the chamber.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Deco:
Hello readers:

“Unexpected DCS” :06:
<snipped discussion on Unexpected DCS and Arterialization>

Dr Deco, do you have any comments regarding the possible effects of a hot shower immediately after the dive?

Rick Inman:
Yes, first hit, and yes I've had more aggressive profiles. My suspicions are, dehydrated due to no water and caffeine intake combined with the small bounce, and maybe the very hot shower directly following the third dive.
(empahsis added)

Wow glad you are OK Rick! Tell your wife I said way to go staying on you!:D

I don't know why men don't want to go the doctor but they do. :D My husband had a car wreak were the car was totaled and I had to go and get him. By the time I got there his left hand was swelling up. I drove him to the hospital as he keep saying I want to go home it doesn't hurt. It was broken.:05:

Saturation:
Divers seek help when abnormal symptoms worsen with time. Neurologic symptoms such as weakness or vertigo are striking unusual that divers clearly seek help when they occur. Fatigue, deafness, joint pain, or aches, etc., are often experienced for benign reasons that a diver will not consider it as potentially DCS until its severe enough to be noticeable different what is common in daily life. Since DCS worsens if left untreated, it will escalates symptoms to above 'daily life' levels. If the symptoms improve without treatment, its often considered not DCS, even if it could have been.

Its theoretically possible to get any disease that heals without treatment. Untreated DCS eventually resolves but how well it resolves depends on how big the injury: the body either heals, dies, scars or doesn't scar.

There is no proof that such 'quiet DCS' events are truly a reason why some divers get severe dive related diseases like dysbaric osteonecrosis, and others don't, but its more logical.

Thanks Sat. Being a karate instructor and doing a lot of high impact outdoors stuff, I guess my problem is that I am used to shaking things off. On the other hand, I have it clear in my mind that I don't want to mess with DCI if I ever take a hit. Those two aspects of my personality could make for some tough decision making, so I try to learn whatever I can about recognizing such hits. This one was scary for me to read about, because I would not have associated the main symptom by itself as DCS, without other symptoms. Rick cleared that up when he mentioned the nausea, which I didn't recall from his first post. Your message helps clear it up a bit, too.

Guess my biggest fear is going to sleep with a sore shoulder and waking up unable to move my legs or urinate.

Back
Top Bottom