Recovered (salvage) items returned ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amanphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have a recovered / Salvadge item question. I dive around my Marina for lost glasses, chairs, boat repairs, ect. The bottom is gross silty mud.

The other day some at the Marina lost one of the props off their boat. It fell off while driving. Apearently it wasn't installed correctly. The boat is a 40' with twin outboards.

Since then they have had new props put on the boat.

I heard about this and went down and recovered the prop. I was not hired by the owner to get the prop.

Now what would you do? Do I sell the prop back to the owner at set price? Sell it on eBay (its worth about 2k)? Give it back to him and hope he components me for time and air?

You found it you have to make the choice but I'd get a100$ out of it for the guy that lost it you took a risk now if you you can't track him down I'd sell it for as much I a could get

The guy who wants it more than anyone is the guy who just bought a new set. If he is a decent boater, he needs a spare set, and you coming up with a reasonable price is important if you want to do business with him.

The prop isn't worth $2 grand. Maybe it sells for $2 grand new, unless it's a Rolls Royce 7 blade, or an Arneson. On the used market it's worth about $500, twice that if you send it to a prop shop and have it straightened and polished. I'd ask a fair price, set as if he had come to you and hired you to find and recover it. I am a fully insured and OSHA compliant commercial diver. I charge $250 to show up and put a tank on my back. When I was a DBA cleaning hulls, I charged $100 a tank. I'd ask him for $250 and be willing to take $200.

I cannot comment on NYC maritime laws or the morals and manners of NYC divers..

IF the individual publicly stated he had lost a propeller and where he has lost it underwater it is no difference that him placing a lawn chair on the beach and some one coming along and claiming it .

The propeller is still his property ...he just placed it underwater

If he had not publicized the loss or location - you probably have salvage rights

If he wants it returned you may probably charge him a fee for your efforts

I would probably return it as a sign of diver good will along with a lecture on the rights and privileges of a diver fling a red and white divers flag...Especially since you will be diving around the marina ...

Hombre it is up to you...

SDM

Note: The owner did not specify that the prop was lost to me personally. It was hearsay from several other marina members that had witnesses it. The location was an estimation.

You just admitted you knew it was lost and it was underwater...You were aware who the owner was

Call the local TV station, news paper ask for coverage and graciously return the propeller. Good publicity for you and future light salvage "business" and especially for the reputation of recreational diving

And some how work in the red & white divers flag -

SDM

I would return it no questions asked. I lost a propeller on a shipwreck once. A friend found it and returned it to me after I had already replaced it. It was good to have a spare.
If the owner had hired you to recover the prop and you found it I can understand asking for a fee, but seeking a reward sounds like a d*** move.

I say either you ask the owner if he will pay a fee to get it back or you sell it. The plain fact of the matter is is that you spent the time and effort into recovering this object without anyone asking you to do it.. There is nothing wrong from making a profit of it. Remember that it would have stayed in the bottom rotting if you had not retrieved it.

I gave the prop back to the gentleman who lost it. No charge. He did give me a gift certificate for a nice dinner at a local restaurant as a thank you. I made a new friend and contact. Networking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom