Recreational Diving vs Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 questions,
do you regret what you have done with moving to "tech" diving ?
what would you have done different knowing what you know now?

I havent forgotten the can light. I am trying not to think about it. I have 2 H scouts, 1 Salvo backup, and just ordered a LED PT. And to think as a rec diver, I was moaning about the 59 bucks I spent on my AquaKing 80 and the $30 backup.
I am considering finding and marrying a rich girl, get divorced and ask for alimony so I can dive.

You forgot the part about, lots of free time. Dive planning starts to involve no less than 12 hours of prep and can consume days. For 20 minutes of bottom time.....

Oh...but by then you will want to video tape your dives in true High Def carrying a couple of little pieces of the sun while you go down.

Don't worry. It will probably only set you back ~$20, 000

xwhitesmokex:
2 questions,
do you regret what you have done with moving to "tech" diving ?
what would you have done different knowing what you know now?
That is a great question. regrets? I regret a lot of gear purchases but figure it is part of the learning process. Diving, regardless of the realm is dangerous so it is imperative the diver is comfortable and confident with his/her gear. If that means switching, then switch. Better to live broke than to die with money to buy what you should have had.
As for what would I have done differently? Well, first I would not get OW certified through some instructor/agency that taught me to dive vertically. I see so many OW classes where the instructors have the students weighted down so much they literally stand on the bottom flat footed. And the best part is, those instructors think they are good divers and are teaching the best methods.
I would skip getting all those cards I have and find someone who could help me learn how to dive.
As for moving to tech..well, I am not even remotely close to being a decent enough diver to move anywhere. I want to learn and am willing to practice. Only after I am proficient enough to be considered good by those I respect, will I be ready to move forward. As for now, I am going to practice, listen to those that know and get good instruction from someone I respect.

Allow me to make you feel better. Imagine every thing you want and the cost that goes with it. Now double it. That is the boat that I am in. My wife has everything I have. I have had to buy everything twice. We have 2 sets of doubles, 6-80Al slings, HID's, Drysuits (2 each), 12 regulators, Backplates with bladders for doubles and a singles, the list is endless, 20K in gear total cause it is all itemized for Ins. Yes, marry another Tech diver and realy pay.

sharkattack:
Allow me to make you feel better. Imagine every thing you want and the cost that goes with it. Now double it. That is the boat that I am in. My wife has everything I have. I have had to buy everything twice. We have 2 sets of doubles, 6-80Al slings, HID's, Drysuits (2 each), 12 regulators, Backplates with bladders for doubles and a singles, the list is endless, 20K in gear total cause it is all itemized for Ins. Yes, marry another Tech diver and realy pay.
You need 2 X-Scooters too :wink:

Carribeandiver:
That is a great question. regrets? I regret a lot of gear purchases but figure it is part of the learning process. Diving, regardless of the realm is dangerous so it is imperative the diver is comfortable and confident with his/her gear. If that means switching, then switch. Better to live broke than to die with money to buy what you should have had.
As for what would I have done differently? Well, first I would not get OW certified through some instructor/agency that taught me to dive vertically. I see so many OW classes where the instructors have the students weighted down so much they literally stand on the bottom flat footed. And the best part is, those instructors think they are good divers and are teaching the best methods.
I would skip getting all those cards I have and find someone who could help me learn how to dive.
As for moving to tech..well, I am not even remotely close to being a decent enough diver to move anywhere. I want to learn and am willing to practice. Only after I am proficient enough to be considered good by those I respect, will I be ready to move forward. As for now, I am going to practice, listen to those that know and get good instruction from someone I respect.[/QUOTE
For me I learned the hard way about diving equipment. Unfortunately you never can realize how much your really going to like diving and what kind of diving you will be doing. I thought reefs and looking at fish was great until I tried cave diving. Now if I'm not in a cave I'm not having fun. I went to St.Thomas a few months ago and thought wow I get to dive in the carribbean. Has anyone here ever been so bored on a dive they almost fell asleep. My point is it is impossible to know what kind of diving your going to enjoy until you really start diving and who really likes renting regs.

JeffG:
You need 2 X-Scooters too :wink:

2x rebreathers and training- comes in somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000- and that is not a joke :).

chickdiver:
2x rebreathers and training- comes in somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000- and that is not a joke :).

Rebreathers? No thanks. They scare me :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom