Recreational Diving vs Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Now that I am somewhat experienced - a whole 9 months and 80 dives. I have experienced recreational diving and got a glimpse of technical diving.
Recently, I decided to adopt the DIR diving philosophy and with that came an entire gear switch. Of course, this switch didnt fill up my mid life crisis quota so I suddenly and unexpectedly became interested in caverns, maybe caves later and who knows, maybe some deep diving later on. I have learned to never say never about the type of diving I may be doing.
All of this switching and unexpected interest swaying got me thinking, researching and studying. Everyone else probably already knew what I discovered but for me, almost everything is a revelation.
Now, what exactly is the difference between recreational and technical diving - that is, what is the difference in the simplest of terms?
The answer is easy. So simple that the average person is going to slap themselves on the forehead and loudly say, "duh!!!".
Recreational diving is a hobby/sport that requires more money than we realized with no end to the expenditures. More gear - more $, upgrade this, upgrade that - more $. Go on a diving trip - more $, etc, etc.
Whereas, Technical diving can be defined as a hobby/sport that requires more money than anyone can possibly dream of. The initial outlay for the BP/W, regs, fins, etc is actually less than the initial outlay for the recreational diver. At least for me it was. No $900 computer in tech, no sir, just a BT/depth gauge, wrist mounted compass, backup watch and a brass SPG. That alone is a difference maker and gets you in thinking, I should have done this from the start and saved money on my initial rig.
But, in tech, it aint over there. Not by a long shot. Want to go caving? Better get doubles and that means two tanks, two regulators, new BP and W or at least a new W at the minimum. Plus a reel and those suckers are not cheap. Plus a spool, backup reel, SMBs, maybe a lift bag just to begin. And we havent even mentioned the training.
Want to go deep? No problem, assuming you already bit the bullet and have the doubles rig, now you need stage bottle and regs for those.
Really feeling big time tech? Well, those doubles and stage bottles hanging off of you are just not enough. Now you have to have a Rebreather. What are those suckers? Around $5000 or so? Whew!
And let's not forget, somewhere along the line, if you dont already have one, you will absolutely need a dry suit because the longer dives make even relatively warm water get downright cold if you stay in it long enough. And we are not talking some cheapo dry suit. Nope, it has to be custom.
Bottom line???? recreational diving is expensive but lots of fun which is why we smile when spending money on dive gear but cry like a baby when we spend money at tax time on April 15.
And technical diving, including cavern, wreck penetration, cave and deep diving is not expensive, it is outrageously expensive but also fun.
Being a junkie for fun, excitement, doing what most others wont or cant do cost a bunch of money. But also, and probably more importantly, it takes dedication to practice, dedication to doing specific skills over and over until they are automatic and as close to perfect as anyone can be.
This is just an observation by a beginner and obvious to most but for me, it brings on moments of shock when I suddenly realize I just have to have this or I just have to have that.

ROFL

Thanks for the perspective :).

Carribeandiver:
Now you have to have a Rebreather. What are those suckers? Around $5000 or so? Whew!

Thanks for your very humorous explanation - I really needed that laugh! :rofl3: When you're ready to buy that rebreather, check out www.gorilladiving.com. By the way, I think they're more like $10,000 :D

My dive instructor told me that he never attempts to explain exactly what a "technical" diver is - to some, it means "I'm carrying a flashlight!" To others, it means the more extreme gear you mentioned.

Check out my website if you want to see video of the most-extreme-of-the-extreme divers who have dived 300 feet to find my family homestead in Lake Jocassee.

Thanks for the laugh!:)

Carribeandiver:
Now that I am somewhat experienced - a whole 9 months and 80 dives. I have experienced recreational diving and got a glimpse of technical diving.
Recently, I decided to adopt the DIR diving philosophy and with that came an entire gear switch. Of course, this switch didnt fill up my mid life crisis quota so I suddenly and unexpectedly became interested in caverns, maybe caves later and who knows, maybe some deep diving later on. I have learned to never say never about the type of diving I may be doing.
All of this switching and unexpected interest swaying got me thinking, researching and studying. Everyone else probably already knew what I discovered but for me, almost everything is a revelation.
Now, what exactly is the difference between recreational and technical diving - that is, what is the difference in the simplest of terms?
The answer is easy. So simple that the average person is going to slap themselves on the forehead and loudly say, "duh!!!".
Recreational diving is a hobby/sport that requires more money than we realized with no end to the expenditures. More gear - more $, upgrade this, upgrade that - more $. Go on a diving trip - more $, etc, etc.
Whereas, Technical diving can be defined as a hobby/sport that requires more money than anyone can possibly dream of. The initial outlay for the BP/W, regs, fins, etc is actually less than the initial outlay for the recreational diver. At least for me it was. No $900 computer in tech, no sir, just a BT/depth gauge, wrist mounted compass, backup watch and a brass SPG. That alone is a difference maker and gets you in thinking, I should have done this from the start and saved money on my initial rig.
But, in tech, it aint over there. Not by a long shot. Want to go caving? Better get doubles and that means two tanks, two regulators, new BP and W or at least a new W at the minimum. Plus a reel and those suckers are not cheap. Plus a spool, backup reel, SMBs, maybe a lift bag just to begin. And we havent even mentioned the training.
Want to go deep? No problem, assuming you already bit the bullet and have the doubles rig, now you need stage bottle and regs for those.
Really feeling big time tech? Well, those doubles and stage bottles hanging off of you are just not enough. Now you have to have a Rebreather. What are those suckers? Around $5000 or so? Whew!
And let's not forget, somewhere along the line, if you dont already have one, you will absolutely need a dry suit because the longer dives make even relatively warm water get downright cold if you stay in it long enough. And we are not talking some cheapo dry suit. Nope, it has to be custom.
Bottom line???? recreational diving is expensive but lots of fun which is why we smile when spending money on dive gear but cry like a baby when we spend money at tax time on April 15.
And technical diving, including cavern, wreck penetration, cave and deep diving is not expensive, it is outrageously expensive but also fun.
Being a junkie for fun, excitement, doing what most others wont or cant do cost a bunch of money. But also, and probably more importantly, it takes dedication to practice, dedication to doing specific skills over and over until they are automatic and as close to perfect as anyone can be.
This is just an observation by a beginner and obvious to most but for me, it brings on moments of shock when I suddenly realize I just have to have this or I just have to have that.
Great post ... but you forgot a couple of things ... helium and scooters ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Great post ... but you forgot a couple of things ... helium and scooters ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And backups for everything....

Do you mean, did I buy my full set of gear before I was officially certified? Ha, what do you think? Of course I did. If you are not impetuous, then you are not living life correctly.

Some of us skipped the middle part of your description of a Tech and we went strait to the seven to twenty man team, deck decompression chamber, two weeks worth of mixed gas cylinders, 120' dive dingy with helo pad, hot water suit, wet or dry dive bell, an overweight southern guy screeming at you on a radio telephone, etc......

Total outlay for the "ticket" to join the club and a decent air hat around $21,000.00. I think I saved a few bucks on gear but I get to dive the worst conditions ever imagined on a regular basis.

Take your pick :eyebrow:

You forgot the $1500 HID light!

Back
Top Bottom