Recreational Sidemount ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't serve our clients well by telling them what they "need" ... we serve them best by listening to them telling us what they "want", educating them on the advantages and drawbacks of those choices, and training them how to make the best use of them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I disagree. You've just said that the customer is always right. How would "I want to dive with the Helldivers, and make multiple repetitive 300 foot air dives. Will you teach me to do this?" go over with you? If there is a valid need for sidemount, and you are a sidemount instructor or mentor, by all means, provide the training. Will you provide monkey diving training also?

Wookie, if you don't allow doubles of any kind on rec charters then not allowing SM doubles isn't really a valid point in this discussion, right? However, would you allow single tank SM on your rec charters? Why or why not?

As far as training minimums, I think the biggest concerns are gear configuration. A more experienced SM diver and/or SM instructor could point out their structure, but the minimum I'd like to see in a sidemount course is gear configuration options (razor/stealth vs SMS75 vs whatever), gear setup both reg and bc/tank/harness. I'd like to see proper tank alignment a big focus. OOA drills, valve feathering drills, gas management, and some physics. What does lengthening that do? How about lowering this? Not just what, but why.

Thank you ... it took a while, but this is more the sort of info I was hoping to see come out of the discussion ... anyone else?

I think a recreational level course needs to include a discussion of different type of sidemount rigs, how they work, pros and cons of various types of cylinders, how to set up your cylinders to prevent them "floating" as they get used, how moving the bands up/down or lengthening/shortening the leashes will affect tank trim, weighting choices and how to position your weights for optimal trim, regulator hose choices and routing, managing different types of entries, managing your air supply, managing OOA in sidemount, and managing unconscious divers and/or rescue tows in sidemount.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 11th, 2014 at 07:51 AM ----------

I disagree. You've just said that the customer is always right. How would "I want to dive with the Helldivers, and make multiple repetitive 300 foot air dives. Will you teach me to do this?" go over with you? If there is a valid need for sidemount, and you are a sidemount instructor or mentor, by all means, provide the training. Will you provide monkey diving training also?

I didn't say that at all ... I said we need to educate them on the advantages and drawbacks of their choices. Those were my exact words.

If someone wants me to teach them how to do something stupid, I'll refuse and tell them why. If they choose to do it anyway they can keep shopping around till they find an instructor who will. That happens all the time ... but that instructor won't be me. I will NOT, however, tell anyone that they don't "need" to dive a particular configuration ... because that choice isn't inherently dangerous, although using it improperly might be. Personally, I tend to avoid people who try to tell me what I need ... because often their idea of need is based on THEIR personal preferences, and not need at all. I've seen people take the exact same approach with things like BP/W or even something as simple as a choice of dive light, and to my concern those sorts of instructor are usually basing their training on ignorance and ego. My job isn't to enforce my beliefs on others ... it's to provide them with information that will allow them to make good choices. Once informed, it's their job to decide for themselves how they want to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 11th, 2014 at 08:00 AM ----------

I see your points Bob and I am not telling anyone to not use SM. Im simply saying a 40' dive with a good buddy team does not require two tanks. I just dont get why people insist on using SM for everything. You like what you like I guess. The exception here is when you are training for a dive that does require the use of two or more cylinders.

Not everyone has access to multiple sets of dive equipment. Not everyone wants that access, or the expense that comes with purchasing and maintaining it. As dive instructors, we do because we have to.

Many people see advantages in diving the same configuration all the time, whether the dive is to 40 feet or 100 feet. It's less about need than it is about "muscle memory" and familiarity with equipment and procedures to be better prepared to deal with the unforeseen.

Where I live there is easy access to many shore dives that would push the limits of recreational depth and NDL, and there are many dive sites that are 40 feet or less. There are even sites that will allow you to do either profile from the same entry point. Is it practical to take two rigs along, and change rigs between dives 1 and 2?

Those are just off-the-top-of-my-head justifications. As instructors, it's impossible for us to know or judge someone else's motivations for the choices they make. And as I said earlier, it's irrelevent. I don't choose gear for my students, with the exception of those taking OW class. Once beyond that entry-level point, I want them to be educated to make their own choices. Diving's as much about making good choices as it is about having good skills ... and I want my students to adopt that mindset from day 1. For that reason, I will never tell a student what they "need" ... I'll put my effort instead into telling them why that might be a good or bad choice, and let them decide for themselves. Like every other skill, the more practice they get at making decisions the better they'll get at it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I tell my students to use whats needed for the dive. Based on the logic of using the same gear for muscle memory I would use doubles with multiple stage/deco bottles on 20' beach dives. If you cant adapt then you shouldnt be diving at these levels.

I tell my students to use whats needed for the dive. Based on the logic of using the same gear for muscle memory I would use doubles with multiple stage/deco bottles on 20' beach dives. If you cant adapt then you shouldnt be diving at these levels.

I know plenty of divers who use doubles on all their dives ... even the 20 foot ones. They don't even own a singles rig. They do, however, leave the stages and deco bottles behind on those shallow dives ... although they may bring a scooter.

I won't scorn their choices, as long as they have fun on the dive. That is, after all, the whole point of going ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As Dive-aholic stated here or elsewhere, if you're limited to a single, what's the deal with sidemount? Why not just put it conventionally on your back?

What's wrong with single tank SM? I've got my hoses configured to it. I'm doing all of my diving in SM. I find it convenient to tuck an AL80 under my arm pit and out of my way. I find it convenient to keep my valve drills consistent. I find it convenient to not change set ups between every few dives. I can SM 1-3 tanks at the moment, and do so with great comfort....both physical and mental, mental being that I'm keeping muscle memory the same. I've never tried 4 or more, but I'm sure I could (even if not pretty) and have similar results.

If I switch to a backmount rig, my inflator is in the wrong spot, my dump is in the wrong spot, my clips are all in different spots, my lights are in different spots, my DSMB is mounted somewhere else, etc.

Plus, I can't stand looking forward and hitting my tank on the valve. The hose routing for a backmounted tank now feels awkward to me. I've completely fallen out of backmounted diving, no matter how many tanks I've got on me, so I stick to SM no matter how many tanks I've got on me.

Last edited:
Correct, it is not a valid point. I believe NetDoc dove a sidemount single with us last year. Quite frankly, as much talk as there is about sidemount, very few have asked about it. Those that have want their tanks lowered to them because of some back problem, which we also don't do.

Is it that you don't want your crew doing it, or you just don't approve of people clipping off tanks in the water?

While I have no problem jumping in with a couple of tanks, there's no way I'll be climbing back up the ladder with them. My joints no longer put up with high-levels of abuse.

flots.

I didn't say that at all ... I said we need to educate them on the advantages and drawbacks of their choices. Those were my exact words.

If someone wants me to teach them how to do something stupid, I'll refuse and tell them why. If they choose to do it anyway they can keep shopping around till they find an instructor who will. That happens all the time ... but that instructor won't be me. I will NOT, however, tell anyone that they don't "need" to dive a particular configuration ... because that choice isn't inherently dangerous, although using it improperly might be. Personally, I tend to avoid people who try to tell me what I need ... because often their idea of need is based on THEIR personal preferences, and not need at all. I've seen people take the exact same approach with things like BP/W or even something as simple as a choice of dive light, and to my concern those sorts of instructor are usually basing their training on ignorance and ego. My job isn't to enforce my beliefs on others ... it's to provide them with information that will allow them to make good choices. Once informed, it's their job to decide for themselves how they want to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Very well, then. Getting back to the theme of the thread, part of the instructional requirements might include the appropriateness of the gear configuration.

If I switch to a backmount rig, my inflator is in the wrong spot, my dump is in the wrong spot, my clips are all in different spots, my lights are in different spots, my DSMB is mounted somewhere else, etc.

I experience this after a cave trip, coming back home to a BM singles rig ... I'm reaching the wrong place for my inflator hose. It's not a big deal ... just takes an "oh yeah" second ... but even after a week of diving in a different rig, my muscle memory is all messed up. When I go tropical diving I often find myself unconsciously reaching up to tap the inflator valve on my chest ... which doesn't exist on my wetsuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What's wrong with SM? I've got my hoses configured to it. I'm doing all of my diving in SM. I find it convenient to tuck an AL80 under my arm pit and out of my way. I find it convenient to keep my valve drills consistent. I find it convenient to not change set ups between every few dives. I can SM 1-3 tanks at the moment, and do so with great comfort....both physical and mental, mental being that I'm keeping muscle memory the same. I've never tried 4 or more, but I'm sure I could (even if not pretty) and have similar results.

Plus, I can't stand looking forward and hitting my tank on the valve. The hose routing for a backmounted tank now feels awkward to me. I've completely fallen out of backmounted diving, no matter how many tanks I've got on me, so I stick to SM no matter how many tanks I've got on me.

Is it that you don't want your crew doing it, or you just don't approve of people clipping off tanks in the water?

While I have no problem jumping in with a couple of tanks, there's no way I'll be climbing back up the ladder with them. My joints no longer put up with high-levels of abuse.

flots.

Gone to PM so I don't abuse this thread any more than I have.

I know plenty of divers who use doubles on all their dives

I've done a 2-tank SM dive on a 30ft dive in FL. Partially because I was still practicing for Full Cave, partially because I was in a drysuit and wanted the extra hose without changing my regs at all. However, gas is gas. In a wetsuit, I would've jumped in with one tank. In Mx, I did. However, the deep dives on my honeymoon were done in sm doubles....not because I couldn't reach NDLs on nitrox on a single tank (I did, practically) but because I wanted the redundancy. I've done MinGas calculations and it scared me into wanting more gas to share with my wife in case something went wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom