Red Filter while using the lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Will I need the red filter attached if I am using the video lights?

No filter needed if you have lights that are powerful and wide enough to cover the whole frame. Keep in mind that even with plenty of lumens, UW lights have a limited range of only a couple feet.

I will echo the others, No. I use a shoulder/BC mounted go pro. I have a red filter tethered to it just in case I find something cool at the safety stop so I can just pop off the filter and get good color on whatever it is I am looking at, other wise it will be pink. Remember, 0-30ft the red filter will make everything pink below that it added the color back to it. I have reviewed many of my videos and learned not to point thing out with my dive light because it everything in the lights path will look pink. As we all learned in OW training red is the first color to go... unless light is reintroduced. Just keep that in mind.

Will I need the red filter attached if I am using the video lights?

Most all of this video was an experiment. I had twin 900 lm lights and a red filter. Depth is about 90 feet max. When I got close to subjects, within a few feet to provide artificial lighting, the colors are too red. I think my conclusion is to remove the filter when filming objects that are being significantly illuminated with artificial light.

[video=youtube;RGu2B0-VFMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGu2B0-VFMo&feature=share&list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

4-14-13 Scuba & Spearing & Bull Sharks - YouTube

My last dive I used 2 1300 lumen video spots with the red lense on the entire time with no problems.
See my "Gopro rocks Belize" video.

It depends on the filter you use
You can do a simple test take your gopro in the housing with the filter on land on a bright sunny day
Shoot a short clip, is you see no particular hue most likely you can use a filter in water with a good set of lights with day light temperature
If you get a hue (filter more red than orange) on land you are likely to have the same effect in water

I am using ur-pro from srp and auto WB. I find it fairly easy to correct shots with excessive pink hue in editing vs trying to correct for lack of red when not using filter. Having said that, I do remove the filter when shooting something like a frog fish or moray in a hole, etc.

Back
Top Bottom