red granite quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martzak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Has anyone dived Red Granite Quarry at this time of the year?...Any comments on the water conditions and tips for diving that location would be much appreciated.

I posted the below on WISCUBA.com on 11/9 about our 11/07 trip to Red Granite. IMO - not worth the effort.

My buddy and I drove up to Red Granite this weekend to get what look to be the last couple local dives of the year in. Weather was WONDERFUL - better than July around here!

We geared up and walked in the south side of the quarry. Water was 42F and vis was quite bad maybe 15-20 near the surface and 5' the deeper we went. Lots of particulate in the water. Our max depth was mid 50's, vis got worse the deeper we went. Didn't see anything living on this end, did see a bunch of cans, the highlight was probably a golf ball. We followed the shoreline pretty much and got over 40 minutes in. My buddy thought she lost me a couple times - I was less than 10' away.

Went to Kwik Trip for our SI, bladder relief and picked up some snacks.

Headed back for the north side - someone was shooting some type of film or something on the point where people generally dive off; old car, girl in a poodle skirt, a couple guys. No idea what that was all about. We hopped in, found the two boats, saw a couple fish, max depth around 40, better vis here (15-20), most likely because we stayed shallower, hung around 25' or so.

Overall, I'll stick with Little Cedar or Big Cedar (I live near Little Cedar) - there is better vis and more stuff to see as long as you stay along the shoreline under the raft area. To me Red Granite wasn't worth the trip.

Redgranite quarry is funny though. Visibility can vary greatly, seemingly without reason. It could be pretty good now and 15' to 20' seems pretty good to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom