Red Sea/Cuba/Malaysia/other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chienac

Reaction score
Trying to plan a trip for June or July, and places that have come up are the Red Sea, Cuba, and Malaysia. This would be about a 1 week trip. Open to liveaboard or land-based.

Does anyone have comments on how these locations are, both generally and in comparison to one another? How is hte viz? The fish? The coral? Is it crowded? Water temp? So on...

Or, if you think they are all bad ideas, tell me what you would do, instead...

angela

Angela

I have dived in the Red Sea a few times - Hurghada once and Sharm landbased and liveaboard. I also went to Cuba for New Year.

Out of all of them, despite huge amounts of sea sickness and tablets, my favourite was Sharm liveaboard. We got a great bunch of people - the boat was fantastic (called the Snapdragon). We went in Oct. last year and saw Oceanic White, Hammerhead, White Tip and a lovely Whale Shark. Loads of other stuff too.

Can't comment on Malaysia though I'm afraid. Hope you make a good choice - let us know how if goes!

Hi Angela
Have a look at Bonaire, it has unlimited shore diving and very short boat journeys to all the dive sites. There is no current, great visibility, the only thing that seems to be lacking is big fish. Loads of jacks, baracudas etc but no sharks.
I am going to Malaysia in April so will report on that when I get back.
Have fun
Victor

Thanks to all for your input. My buddy and I booked a liveaboard to the Red Sea for early July, and are looking forward to it very much. In response to one post, I've been to Bonaire twice, and love it there, and will probably go back in the next year or so to get my divemaster... :)

Just back from Malaysia, a beautiful place. We stayed on the peninsula diving off the east coast islands. The diving was good, visibility fair, but we were very early in the season so the water was still stirred up from the storms. Redang is quite commercial, and felt a bit like a butlins holiday camp. I still had 2 days of good diving. Perhentian is fantastic. Water and power were restricted to 8 hours a day, but who cares, food great, diving good, very layed back. Well worth a visit. We will be back.

Hi Angela,

If you are traveling independently then get to the Perhentian Islands or Sipadan in Malaysia very good diving with good prices

Angela
I can recommend Perenthian, thats where we spent most of our week. The people were very laid back. Good diving, great prices, remember you need to barter, there is always a deal to be done in Malaysia.
If you go in the off season it seems to be best just to turn up, you can negotiate at the door step. It is much cheaper than the caribean, well at least the parts that I have been to.
I have been told that Thialand is even cheaper, however I have never been there.
Have a great time and post your opinions.

Victor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom