Red Sea logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add my point of view...

If you have the time and money I´d recommend a liveaboard. Going diving is just stepping off the back of the boat, the crew will even help you get into your gear if you let them. You get to dive more remote/unspoiled areas and you can dive the Thistlegorm without getting up at 4 in the morning, chances are you you´ll also be diving it without the stress and the crowds that comes with the dayboats.

If you want corals and pretty fishes southern red sea is propably best. I´m not much into that sort of thing but elphinstone was amazing! Southern red sea is also better if you want to see big pelagics.

If you like corals and pretty fishes fine but don´t mind seeing these things against the backdrop of a wreck and perhaps having a look inside (don´t go unless trained) then northern red sea out of sharm el sheik or hurghada is your ticket. Most liveaboards will do ½ wrecks and ½ reefs, doing 20+ dives on reefs in a week is not my idea of a good time, no matter how nice they are...

I´ve done 3 liveaboards and a few daytrips in the last 4 years (9 dives on the Thistlegorm) and may go back there in february...a 5mm in April should be enough to keep you warm as long as you have a hood as well...most of the dives I´ve made there are 60+ mins long so even if water is warm you do get a bit chilled at the end (or I do anyways)...

YMMV

Jai Bar:
4. Southern Egypt has almost the same diver attraction as Sinai, so you can expect dozens of boats at sites in the area of Hurghada and southward. Last month I went on a Safari down to Marsa Alam and Elphinstone reef, and in some days Elphinstone was so crowded that it was hard to find a parking place for the boat (almost like in Tel Aviv :wink: ).

I don't agree, yes you will get lots of boats on Elphinstone but only on the first and last days of the trip. This is because it is the nearest area to Port Ghalib where the southern boats start from.

I have done the Brothers, Elphinstone and Deadalus in 2004 and St Johns in 2004 and 2005, go further south and you will have reefs to yourself.

The newer boats carry about 18 to 24 person all now have ensuites as standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom