Redesigning AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let keep some of the original stuff:

Navigation & search recovery.
Deep dives.

Then Lets subtract the garbages like photography, naturalist, boat, etc.

Then add:

"Peak performance buoyancy" and proper weight balance and management.
"Rock bottom" gas management.

What else should we add or subtract?

AOW was when I made my first night dive. I thought that was a good part of the course. Something I think would be particularly useful would be training and/or practice in task specific kicks.

Night was one of mine, but it wasn't mandatory. I think it should be

Let keep some of the original stuff:

Navigation & search recovery.
Deep dives.

Then Lets subtract the garbages like photography, naturalist, boat, etc.

Then add:

"Peak performance buoyancy" and proper weight balance and management.
"Rock bottom" gas management.

What else should we add or subtract?

Proper trim and holding stops.

A discussion talking about the pros and cons of a backplate wing vs. typical jacket BC.

A discussion of how thick neoprene causes dynamic instability.

Gas management. (I know, you said that. Just saying it again.)

A discussion talking about the pros and cons of a backplate wing vs. typical jacket BC.

Only problem is, you'll not get an impartial, non-biased discussion. It is pretty black and white here on Scubaboard, and very few middle of the road people who actually have dove both in a variety of designs. With most instructors diving jackets - the bias will heavily fall away from BPW.

Only problem is, you'll not get an impartial, non-biased discussion. It is pretty black and white here on Scubaboard, and very few middle of the road people who actually have dove both in a variety of designs. With most instructors diving jackets - the bias will heavily fall away from BPW.

Unfortunately, I think you're right about that.

Unfortunately, I think you're right about that.

So how does a back inflate BC fall into this? I get people all the time in, new divers, and show them Jacket, Back Inflate, and BP/W. We go over all of them, try them on...and most pick back inflate...Why? Because for the recreational diver, by the time you add backplate, wing, harness, STA(if needed with wing), weight pockets, trim pockets, possibly a backplate pad....what have you now built and spent more money on? A back inflate BCD minus 6lbs in a backplate....but you have also spent close to $200 more on it....and what else is different?? Nothing except modularity......Plus some people like to be able to quickly and easily adjust what they are wearing(3mm vs drysuit....No suit vs. 5mm....1mm vs. thanksgiving) and a back inflate can give you that...there are BP/Ws that can as well, but now your pushing the price difference even higher.....and still just building a stock back inflate bcd....lets remember cumberbuns and chest straps are removable if you choose to

A BP/W isnt for everybody and the discussion always is just BP/W vs. Jacket....There is 3 BCD Types....BP/W, Jacket, and Back Inflate.....

Thats like Talking about Certification Agencies and Leaving out Naui

This is my view of how I see it on a day to day basis on a sales floor that actively sells all types....As for saying some are biased...Sure why not...they are pushing what they dive....just like you do with a BP/W :wink: We try to sell all actively with no biasis....remember we make more money on a BP/W as it costs more....we dont "sell" items to customers though...we show them and let them try on and make the best decision for them....and back inflate BCD are ruling the sales %

Sorry...and on topic....PPB should also be mandatory as well as night dive...but from a selling standpoint and seeing it everyday, people like the choices of picking and our top elective dives are: Wreck, Night, Search Recovery, PPB, digital photo.....

Wow, too much coffee?

All I asked for was an unbiased discussion on the subject during AOW!

Nothing more, nothing less.

So how does a back inflate BC fall into this? I get people all the time in, new divers, and show them Jacket, Back Inflate, and BP/W. We go over all of them, try them on...and most pick back inflate...Why? Because for the recreational diver, by the time you add backplate, wing, harness, STA(if needed with wing), weight pockets, trim pockets, possibly a backplate pad....what have you now built and spent more money on? A back inflate BCD minus 6lbs in a backplate....but you have also spent close to $200 more on it....and what else is different?? Nothing except modularity......Plus some people like to be able to quickly and easily adjust what they are wearing(3mm vs drysuit....No suit vs. 5mm....1mm vs. thanksgiving) and a back inflate can give you that...there are BP/Ws that can as well, but now your pushing the price difference even higher.....and still just building a stock back inflate bcd....lets remember cumberbuns and chest straps are removable if you choose to

A BP/W isnt for everybody and the discussion always is just BP/W vs. Jacket....There is 3 BCD Types....BP/W, Jacket, and Back Inflate.....

Thats like Talking about Certification Agencies and Leaving out Naui

This is my view of how I see it on a day to day basis on a sales floor that actively sells all types....As for saying some are biased...Sure why not...they are pushing what they dive....just like you do with a BP/W :wink: We try to sell all actively with no biasis....remember we make more money on a BP/W as it costs more....we dont "sell" items to customers though...we show them and let them try on and make the best decision for them....and back inflate BCD are ruling the sales %

Sorry...and on topic....PPB should also be mandatory as well as night dive...but from a selling standpoint and seeing it everyday, people like the choices of picking and our top elective dives are: Wreck, Night, Search Recovery, PPB, digital photo.....

Back
Top Bottom