Redundancy on twin sets.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John McGuinness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I Hadn't been diving for a year and found my diving mojo again whilst diving in Thailand. Something about diving in warm water made me pine for the old days of diving in colder water. So I'm looking at buying some gear and the dive shop I went to piqued my interest in buying a twin 12.2 L setup, which left me thinking,

One of the main attractions of the twin setup is that you effectively have a redundant supply. Does this mean that its safe for you to dive alone with a twin setup ?

I Hadn't been diving for a year and found my diving mojo again whilst diving in Thailand. Something about diving in warm water made me pine for the old days of diving in colder water. So I'm looking at buying some gear and the dive shop I went to piqued my interest in buying a twin 12.2 L setup, which left me thinking,

One of the main attractions of the twin setup is that you effectively have a redundant supply. Does this mean that its safe for you to dive alone with a twin setup ?

Correct. Independent doubles (isolator closed on "normal" doubles) is indeed a redundant air source and is suitable for solo diving.

Redundant air supply is one of the factors which increases your safety solo diving.

How to safely use this tool (and what else is needed) takes both knowledge and skill.

As solo divers we are trained to rely on our selves to use the extra equipment to safely handle the risks involved with being underwater.

In (mainstream) OW training the mindset of our skills are focused on using our buddy as our redundant source on case of trouble. (Guided maskless swim, air sharing, redundant buoyancy and navigational equipment and so on). Solo diving changes all this.

Enjoy the freedom!
Cameron

Now on this note I'm not condoning solo diving I don't do it personally but my rig will be set up hog style just for pure redundancy my drysuit inflator hose is on one post wing inflator hose on the other my wing has 2 bladders in case one fails also have a reg on each post

You don’t need to set up your gear in the way that has been found by pretty much all doubles divers to be the best approach. You don’t really need to put on your seatbelt either, the car will work fine without it. Both are a good idea until you figure out why you need to do something different and understand the trade offs.

But have someone competent show you how to set it up and why and how to work the valves.

Why does a BCD have to be setup Hogarthian style for solo diving?
It doesn't but it is recommended since you
Can only depend on yourself if you free flow or if a failure happens you can shut of one first stage and switch to the other
It's all about redundancy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom