redundant air gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
being in florida keys and it being wreck heaven I want to get into wreck diving, will be taking the wreck course mid feb to late feb.

I have an atom 2 and do not want to be at 120 feet in a wreck and my comuter to crap out and take my way of knowing how much air I have with it.

So I am thinking well planning on adding a small gauge to just clip to my dring for the just incase factor should my computer crap out.

I am thinking something like this
OxyCheq Brass Pressure Gauge discounts on sale OxyCheq

Would you add the air gauge only or something like air and depth?

Also how long of a hose do I want

Are you talking about taking a course on wreck penetration?

Contact the instructor with whom you'll be taking the wreck diving course. Discuss all of your gear questions with him/her...and whether your experience level is appropriate for such a course.

I don't do exceptionally deep dives nor do I penetrate wrecks. I'm just an open water recreational diver. If I had a wireless air-integrated (AI) computer, such as the Atom 2, at the very least I would keep a "backup" gauge (like the Oxycheq one above) with hose in my save-a-dive kit. I have seen other divers on local dive boats have issues with pre-dive pairing of the computer to the transmitter. I've also heard of the AI-wireless signal being interrupted by nearby camera strobes and valve drills (doubles) underwater. That should be reason enough to install a more reliable gas gauge on your first stage.

I suspect that eventually you'll end up with a brass-and-glass SPG (like the Oxycheq), a 7-ft. long hose primary with necklaced backup, and a redundant bottom timer (displaying run time and depth). You'll also probably learn more about gas management. NWGratefulDiver's essay is a great place to start.

I dive two computers none are AI....but I have backup depth, NDL and time....

As far as air, a backup gauge can't hurt - but if your computer dies you are ending the dive and heading topside right away.....so a backup time piece is more critical.....I think.....

I would also look at Dive Rite they make a slightly smaller gauge.....

Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) - Dive Gear Express

I use the thin 1.5" face....

Hope this helps.....M

................. and do not want to be at 120 feet in a wreck ..................

I'd go for an SPG (like the one you suggested) and a wrist bottom timer.

Add a Decompression Procedures course.

Calculate air deco tables for the max gas load you carry and attach same to your slate. -doesn't matter if you are planning to stay NDL, stuff happens...

Adding a SPG is a good idea. If you're looking at a second device for depth you're better off spending your money on a backup computer, or bottom timer than on an analog depth gauge.

You're in Key Largo? Why not check out Diver's Direct? Or Silentworld? Silentworld stocks the 1.5" Halcyon SPG that would make a great backup/stage SPG.

Be sure to dive the Duane for me - definitely one of the best dives in Key Largo.

Last edited:
being in florida keys and it being wreck heaven I want to get into wreck diving, will be taking the wreck course mid feb to late feb.

I have an atom 2 and do not want to be at 120 feet in a wreck and my comuter to crap out and take my way of knowing how much air I have with it.

So I am thinking well planning on adding a small gauge to just clip to my dring for the just incase factor should my computer crap out.

I am thinking something like this
OxyCheq Brass Pressure Gauge discounts on sale OxyCheq

Would you add the air gauge only or something like air and depth?

Also how long of a hose do I want
Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with an air integrated computer for any deep dives. I do have one and use it for my single tank shallow dives, but still have a gauge on a hose that I check more often, since the AI computer loses contact on occasion.

Don't quote me on it, but I think most agencies are going to frown upon an AI computer for deep dives altogether.

. . .Will be adding the air gauge and maybe a deep as well

I hear ya, I keep an air gauge in my glove box.

air10_on_m.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom