Redundant Air Supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
You guys really helped with the redundant bouancy I thought I'd give you all another one.

Tank is on the way (HP Steel 130)(I'm lean and sort of an air hog...I'm working on that one, not the lean part, but the air hog) and I'm starting to plan the next gear acquisition...

One day I'll end up with 2x tanks, isolation manifold, so on so forth...barring winning the lottery, that is probably a couple of seasons away.

Next season I want to dive off of NJ. Most of the dive operators require a redundant air source and a H-Valve on a big single tank may not cut it...they talk about the burst disk and o-rings.

I'm looking at an AL 'pony' tank.

What the hell is a 'pony' tank?:confused:

Some people call it an AL 40 that you hang from you like a stage bottle...some people call it an AL 30 that is attached to their main tank and worn on back (like this idea the best...especially when you are swimming in mud)...manufactures call it a AL 19 or smaller!

Again any feedback is welcome!

Chris

A pony is a second tank that is generaly smaller than your primary tank that you carry with you if as a reduntant air supply if ever something happens and you find yourself in an OOA situation. Generally, divers will use small al tanks as ponys. Tank sizes will usually range from the diminutive 6cf (way too small) to the 40cf. Judging by prior responses to similar topics, most people use 13cf or 19cf tanks. The size depends on what kind of dives you will be doing. They can be attached to the main tank valve up or valve down with a variety of devices such as an X bracket, pony tamer or a pair of cam bands. Or the pony can be slung like a stage/deco tank, although this method seems to work better with the larger sizes. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, personaly I would prefer having it slung. Some divers carry the pony complete shut off, some will charge it and then shut it off and others will carry it with the valve opened. There are a lot of threads on this subject, I'm sure there is more info that can be had on this just by searching in old posts.

I like an AL 40 slung under an arm for a few reasons. You hardly know its there and if it does catch on something it is very easy to move it or even detatch it if needed. Then if you get the doubles down the road and go a little more tech you can O2 clean it and use it for deco.

I have a 19 that I sling and just got a 40 that is being o2 cleaned to use with 40% until I get my advaced nitrox/deco then it'll be higher. But for me personally I can use a 19 to 110 ft and have enough air for ascent with safety stop.

I´d go with a 40, simply because it can be used as something other than a pony, ie deco, if you go that route. It´s also more gas for no "extra" inconvience more than the small extra weight. I´d sling it so that you know you can get to the valve and can look at it during the dive...

ymmv

I use a 19, valve down, mounted with a QuickDraw bracket. The QD is a nice, tight, mount, no movement when it's attached.
An important thing, whatever you choose to use, is to practice with it. 100' down, primary failure, is not the time to figure that you aren't comfortable with turning the valve on, or to not have the automatic reflex of reaching for the pony reg, wherever you have it clipped off.
Concerning size, no disagreement with those who like larger, though my friend, an Instructor, has a slung 30 and tends to not take it often just because it is a bit more of a pain in the butt. My 19 is small enough to be an easy setup, automatic, and travels well (taking it to Roatan next week).
Safe diving!

I would chose a slung tank as opposed to back mounted. A person died recently in the UK due to breathing the pony instead of the main tank and ran out of air as a result. Its hard to do that with a slung tank.

Chris

I agree that a slung pony, even a 40, isn't very noticable at all while you're diving. And it seems almost weightless compared to a regular tank, even on the surface. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom