Redundant Bouancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I first off want to say I get the whole solo thing...the good and the bad. I've been soloing for years in a few others of my outdoor activities (WW kayaking, open water kayaking, backpacking and the days of old, alpine mountaineering and some ice climbing).

With that I am relatively new to the sport of diving. I got certified two years ago and the first year I had 30 dives in the pool (couldn't quite nail down the schedule thing to go to open water). This year we have some trips booked and we've been going to our nearby quarries to get so time underwater.

I've found that visibility in our quarries is anywhere from 0-40+ feet...all depends on the algae bloom and what classes have been held. Also, we've found it is surprisingly simply to get separated from your buddy!

Due to diving in the zero vis I just ordered a new wrist computer, consol is now backup. I found I really, really, really don't like having a consul. I want my computer and compass right next to each other. So far that is my biggest lesson in diving in zero vis water.

With that ultimately I'd like to get set up, equipment wise, to dive solo wether I dive solo or not. I have an unrational fear of entering the food chain and I'm a big proponent of the herd idea. If there are more options (i.e. - buddies), my chances of becoming dinner are reduced.

I get the redundancy in everything, except buoyancy.

By the way until I can save up more green, I'll be diving wet in 41 degree water so no drysuit for the time being.

I can order a new dual bladder wing, but I know think this isn't the answer. I've seen the solo folks out in the wild and they don't have two inflators on the wings!

So if you guys could tell me out there let me know what systems exist for redundancy in buoyancy so I can put them on my equipment wish list that would be great!

Thank you all,

cgd

Dual bladder wings are used by divers in steel doubles and wetsuits. There is also the concept of a balanced rig that would allow you to swim your tig to the surface if your wing fails. Your best best would be a drysuit since you are diving in cold water. I wouldn't skimp on this.

Oh yeah...dry suit is WAY up there on the food chain. What is a balanced rig? Do you mean weighted in such a way that w/o lead, I'm positively bouyant?

Thanks,

cgd

Balanced rig means that you are neutrally bouyant and not overweighted so that if you lose the ability to inflate your wing, you can swim it up from the bottom. It also means using the right wing for the tank configuration. Descend to the bottom with your current rig and a full tank(s), empty your wing, and try and swim it up to the surface. I would imagine you cannot because you are wearing a lot of weight to counter the neoprene needed for cold temperatures.

The DIR folks have their own take on balanced rig. You may want to ask in their forum. They don't like dual bladder wings.

I think I'm hitting a problem with the wet suit...

Right now I have a SS backplate and use a Steel 119. I dive 8# of lead. I tried 6#'s, but it gets a bit tricky at the safety stop when tank pressue drops. All together 14# of weight.

I'm going to have a hard time diving wet, aren't I? I believe I see where you are going.

So there really is no piece of actual gear that would really compensate for redundant bouancy. It is just techniques? What I mean by actual gear as an example would be diving doubles with an isolation manifold and two regs, two computers, two masks, two compases, so on so forth.

A dry suit can comptensate for it as could a dual bladder wing (some people don't like them). I dive a BP/W and steel 100 with a wetsuit wearing 2 lbs of weight and I can swim it to the surface. This is the first thing you need to test. You might not have a problem to solve.

Unless you are going to be diving in some extreme conditions, a redundant bouyancy device is not a real concern for you. With the rig you describe, you should be able to swim to the surface. Remember that you can always ditch your weights. You could also go to an aluminum backplate to make more of the weight ditchable.

I know a dry suit is expensive and I would not recommend going in that direction unless you really get serious. I am personally not a fan of using a dry suit as a bouyancy device. I would also stay away from the double bladder wings as they are specifically designed for doubles and can be difficult to handle with a single. One rather inexpensive alternative is a lift bag and reel. Not a lot of money and, with some practice, can certainly compensate for a lost bladder. But just dropping your weights should be all you need.

If you are concerned about having redundant bouyancy, the cheapest and most compact solution is a lift bag. In the unlikely event that your BC fails, you can clip the lift bag to a d-ring on your BC harness and use it to make a nice controlled ascent.

If you go this route, I would strongly recommend purchasing an open-ended lift bag with a good pull dump. Additionally, practice making ascents using the lift bag under controlled conditions and under the watchful eye of someone familiar with the use of lift bags. You never want the first time you try something to be during an emergency.

Agree with cdtgray. I always carry a 25 kilo/55lb bag with me when soloing. Heck even my DAN signal tube is supposed to have 30 lbs of lift. As a last resort it could be used. But i also have a drysuit and use it in anything under 70 degrees.

I totally disagree with clipping a lift bag to your BC. Your lift bag is attached to your reel or spool which remains in your hand. And I wouldn't count on a liftbag for your only source of redudant bouyancy. Murphy calls at the worst possible moment.

Back
Top Bottom