Reef Club/Blue XT Sea review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grumpymedic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The Reef Club

A friend and I stayed at The Reef Club from Feb. 23-26. We arrived at around noon and as expected our room was not ready so we dropped of the luggage at the front desk area and went down to the pool/bar area to get a drink and a snack. They had cheeseburgers and pizza at the snack bar. We ordered a cheeseburger and got a drink that comes in a little 12 oz plastic cup that holds maybe 6 oz of actual drink once they pack it full of ice. Worse cheeseburger I had ever attempted to eat, and after 3 sips from my drink to wash it down I had to go wait in line for another refill….so as you can see things were not off to such a great start.

A couple of hours later our room was ready. Our bell boy Carlos grabbed our luggage and off we went. As we rounded the corner to go to our room this god awe-full smell hit us. It smelled like raw sewage. We had to endure this horrendous smell every time we left our room. I have a strong stomach but I almost got sick a couple of times. The room was decent, a little run down but not too bad. The beds were very hard and not comfortable at all, but the air conditioner worked so we were doing ok.

Sunday morning my friend wakes me up at 5 am saying that he is sick. 30 seconds later he is in the bathroom vomiting his head off. This is not how I like to be woke up :no He is sick all day Sunday and ended up not getting out of bed the whole day. Monday comes and he is feeling better so we go hang out around the lobby and check our e-mails. While down there we observed an 8-10 year old girl sitting next to her father and she is violently throwing up. We also see several people buying medicine at the on-site store for diarrhea .We only ate at one place in town and it was early Saturday afternoon. I have eaten at this place every time I have been to Coz and have never had any problems so I don’t think it was the cause of my friend’s illness. The food at the Reef Club was not very good at all. Some of it was cold by the time you got it to the table to eat it. So I will let you draw your own conclusions as to what food was making everybody sick. The Reef club was a nice place overall. The grounds were beautiful and they were putting in new trees and bushes everyday we were there. The beach was nice enough, quite a few rocks but that is to be expected.

Diving with Blue XT Sea

Ya ! I finally got to meet Christi…I dove 2 days with Blue XT Sea. My D.M. was Blanca both days and Adan was our captain on the Bandida II. As usual I was not disappointed. They picked me up right in front of the Reef Club and it was just a short ride to the reefs. We dove the Santa Rosa Wall, San Francisco, Palancar bricks and La Francesca. I got to see my first shark at Santa Rosa Wall and a huge 6-7 foot green Moray eel at La Francesca. Blanca was awesome, showing us all the big animals and a bunch of very small animals. One thing that impressed me the most is when she went out of her way to pick up trash that was on the sea floor not once but twice. You can tell she really loves to dive and wants to take care of the reefs. I had a great time and would like to thank the whole group at Blue XT Sea Diving.

Overall I had a good time, but then again I wasn’t sick. I would say that The Reef Club is just not for us. In the future we will stay closer in town and just eat all of our meals there. Sorry this was so long but I tried to point out the negatives and positives of the experience. Thank you and be safe.

Rex

hey grumpy, i told you the food was not anything to write home about, but sorry you didnt get the burger i got there in 03, it was really good.. again , nice to meet you. i'm already planning my next trip. i just hope to luck out and get beautiful weather like that again, diver88

I stayed at teh Reef Club back in 2000... and hated it. I'm just not an AI person. I'd rather eat at local eateries and experience the local culture.

I would agree the RC's food is nothing to write home about. I'm sorry your friend was sick. That sucks!!!

The 2nd time I went to Coz we stayed at a timeshare resort, I think it was called Coral Princess... it was nice and close to everything. (We used a scooter to get around.) I was not thrilled with their diving staff there, but I definetly enjoyed it more than the RC.

I felt trapped at RC. The $20 cabride to town (I think that was round trip)... just annoyed me to no end. Not to mention the annoying guy on the microphone teaching aerobics all day long to Techno music. NOT my cup of tea. This was 7 years ago, I believe... so things might be different now

The one time I stayed there with a group a few years ago (granted, my experience is dated), the food was my major problem. Lunch served outdoors at the bar was luke warm and covered in flies. One evening when I couldn't find a waiter for something, I went back in the kitchen - and it did not look like they cooked there. I can't help but wonder about transporting food from another location

Diver 88,
It was nice to meet you too. Yea that was one thing we really couldn't complain about..the weather was great and my dives were great. No more AI for me..I am like u breckgirl5 I think I enjoy being able to go wherever i want and eat new things.. It was still better than being at work :bang:

DandyDon:
One evening when I couldn't find a waiter for something, I went back in the kitchen - and it did not look like they cooked there. I can't help but wonder about transporting food from another location
Now that's a scary thought!!! :shocked:

DandyDon, in 03 when i stayed at the reef club i can tell you they brought the food in for sure. my room was right beside the "kitchen" and a truck would arrive about
6am and they would roll loud noisy carts into the kitchen from the truck, i thought that was strange then...... diver88:D

It was 2003 when I was last there. Found my report. It's over 3 years old, so hardly relevent, but it was obvious I was pissed. I remember the feeling of escape I had when we left.

Some are quite happy with it, tho - especially if they can get it cheap enough, which isn't difficult.

I was at Reef Club in January, about 6 weeks ago. I had a great time and loved the food. True the cheeseburgers were'nt McDonalds, but we're in Mexico. The nacho bar was fine. If one is seeking fine crusine, an island in Mexico isn't the place to look.

I'm going back to Reef Club next Friday with the whole family.

Lawman:
I was at Reef Club in January, about 6 weeks ago. I had a great time and loved the food. True the cheeseburgers were'nt McDonalds, but we're in Mexico. The nacho bar was fine. If one is seeking fine crusine, an island in Mexico isn't the place to look.

I'm going back to Reef Club next Friday with the whole family.

MacDonald's is the pinnacle of cheeseburgers?

I have to emphatically disagree with the idea that one cannot find great food on Cozumel. Some of my favorite restaurants anywhere are there, and eating in them is a big part of the Cozumel Experience for me. On your next trip, you might try going to a couple of the places on Christi's List (which largely coincides with mine), you might be surprised. It ain't all "Mexican Food".

Back
Top Bottom