Reef Club/Blue XT Sea review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Yeah, I think the French got their reputation for their "fine dining" from their creative sauces developed to mask their poor beef quality,:blush:

Spoken as a true Texan. :)

All this over what? Hamburgers? French cooking? Why can't...why can't we just get along? I refuse to get upset over these topics. Bartender! More beer over here!

Lawman:
Bartender! More beer over here!

Now that's something I can agree with!

Senor! Una mas Leon Negra aqui, por favor! Y una mas cervesa para mi amigo!

And that's just about all the Spanish I know... ;^)

:D well said,

thats what i was trying to point out, although the france statement was not well thought out, neither was the personal attack.
while on the subject of beef, i was pleasantly suprized with the steak and sopa de lima i got at Johnny's gallo blanco, anybody ever eaten there? let me say in advance if others have tried and dont like the food there its ok, but it was really good saturday night two weeks ago. and yes Lawman i was having a few last night:D
hope all are well, :D :D :D diver88

diver88:
:D well said,

thats what i was trying to point out, although the france statement was not well thought out, neither was the personal attack.
while on the subject of beef, i was pleasantly suprized with the steak and sopa de lima i got at Johnny's gallo blanco, anybody ever eaten there? let me say in advance if others have tried and dont like the food there its ok, but it was really good saturday night two weeks ago. and yes Lawman i was having a few last night:D
hope all are well, :D :D :D diver88

I've eaten there once and IMO the food was very good. Not great, like it was when that place was Santiago's (pinwheel mahi-mahi steaks with embedded shrimp...), but well worth the trip. The new owner sat and talked with us for a while, bought us a round of Xtabentun. Nice evening.

gcawad:
Originally Posted by DandyDon
Yeah, I think the French got their reputation for their "fine dining" from their creative sauces developed to mask their poor beef quality
Spoken as a true Texan. :)
Well, to explain that one....

As I recall my schooling on this, the Channel Islands breeds were developed mostly for dairy produce - Jersys, Gurnseys, Holstiens, etc; the UK breeds were developed more for beef eaters - Hereford, Aberdeen-Angus, Shorthorn for both, as the more popular breeds imported to the US, while the one French breed that I know - Charlais, was developed more as a draft animal, not much fat layering like the British herds.

After the US Civil War, we had all the mangy Longhorns running wild in Texas descended from Spanish stock, and while edible - just barely, so my ancestors started using the Hereford, Aberdeen-Angus, Shorthorn breeds to breed some marbling into the meat of the Texas herds and across the West. This produced better tasting beef and worked well until obesity, heart disease, etc started to become so common in the US.

Then in the 20th century, with our fatter herds and developed feeding programs, we found we needed to cut back on the excess adipose ratios in our herds. The King Ranch used Shorthorn & Indian Brahmas to produce their cherry red Santa Gertrudus, but most of us started using the Channel Island dairy breeds and the French Charlais to breed in reduced fat. Been a lot of changes in Texas cattle since the Spanish first turned some loose.

:popcorn: OK, back to your popcorn. Thank-you. :D

DandyDon:
Well, to explain that one....
Deleted lengthy message on a history of beef

Any suggestions on where to get a good steak in Cozumel?

gcawad:
Any suggestions on where to get a good steak in Cozumel?

In no particular order:
French Quarter
Prima
Le Chef

FYI- we were disappointed in the prime rib at French Quarter. I've always been led to believe that beef in Mexico will almost always be disappointing, so far I have had no experience contrary to that belief......

I LOVED Le Chef, thanks to Christi for that tip. Although I didn't order the beef, I would trust them to prepare it as well as anybody on the island if I had ordered it. (from the "too much information" dept. I can say that although I was sick with a bug before going to Le Chef, and unfortunately later that evening had the opportunity to "see" my meal again, I would not hesitate to go back and order the same dish. In my book, there is no higher compliment than that :) )

jayjoans:
FYI- we were disappointed in the prime rib at French Quarter. I've always been led to believe that beef in Mexico will almost always be disappointing, so far I have had no experience contrary to that belief......

I LOVED Le Chef, thanks to Christi for that tip. Although I didn't order the beef, I would trust them to prepare it as well as anybody on the island if I had ordered it. (from the "too much information" dept. I can say that although I was sick with a bug before going to Le Chef, and unfortunately later that evening had the opportunity to "see" my meal again, I would not hesitate to go back and order the same dish. In my book, there is no higher compliment than that :) )

I tasted someone's steak at Le Chef last week and it was out of this world! Cooked to perfection! I'm not 100% if he always has steaks on the menu or if it was a special...I'll have to confirm that.

In all fairness, I have only eaten the filet at French Quarter and it's been quite awhile...because it's way out of my budget anymore :)

All three that I mentioned actually import their beef...it's either Canadian Angus or USDA. Especias has a pretty decent filet, and very reasonably priced...but it's not imported beef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom