Reef Club- RIGHT NOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
I'm going to be at Reef Club Saturday. I need the straight scoop about conditions now.
Not last fall, or what someone heard. Has anyone been there in the last couple of weeks and what is the story on food, beach, etc.? Should I pay $300 for an upgrade?
I need info quick!

I just got home yesterday. Conditions were great. Water temps 80 to 82. Air temps 85. I'm not Willard Scott, so I cannot give you a forcast for the coming weekend. $300 upgrade for what? room? food?

I checked Trip Advisor Cozumel and the people there made Reef Club sound like
Hell on earth. If they're right I should cancel right now and take the loss.
A guy I know was just there and said it was fine. Other people say it's better than before and love it. What I'm looking for is someone that was there recently and can tell me 1. The condition of the beach. Is it destroyed, under repair or what? 2. Food.
Should we plan on the buffet or on going out? Is it Army food or better? 3. Is the hotel safe ie: not contaminated food, sewage smells, etc? 4. Is a $300 upgrade to a ocean view room worth it? 5. Is construction noise a problem? Are some locations better than others? What should I ask for?

I trust the opinions of ScubaBoard people over other sites. What do you think?

I do not have any recent experience with RC. After staying with them a couple years ago, it would have to be a great bargain to get us there again rather than one of the Occidental resorts or many other options. But there beach and facilities looked (from the water) to be fully recovered from the storms. Food was better than Army food but not as good as most other places we've stayed. There was not a lot of variety but you should not go hungry or get sick from it. You will not be very far from the beach so I don't see much sense in a $300 ocean view upgrade. If ocean view is that important, look at Scuba Club or Carib Blue for your next trip.

Enjoy.

Ok, while we have never stayed at Reef Club, here's my 20 pesos on staying at ANY hotel in Cozumel. This also works in any other locations. Do a little research on the place, read the reviews if you want, then go with an open mind. Do not expect things to be the same as in the U.S. If you do, then don't go! Be courteous and friendly to the staff and treat them like you expect to be treated. We have stayed at Villa Blanca, Casa Del Mar, Hotel Cozumel and Hotel Meson San Miguel and I have read horrible and great reviews for them all, but we have had a great time at each one. If you are doing the all-inclusive thing, you probably won't like everything they have to eat but you probably will be able to find something. There are great places to eat, but lots of times the AI price is worth it even if you only use it for breakfast and drinks. If you don't speak Spanish and have a problem with your room tell someone at the desk instead of the maid because a lot of them do not speak much English. We just got back Saturday, stayed at Hotel Cozumel again and had a great time....again.

Have a great trip!

Lawman:
I checked Trip Advisor Cozumel and the people there made Reef Club sound like
Hell on earth. If they're right I should cancel right now and take the loss.
A guy I know was just there and said it was fine. Other people say it's better than before and love it. What I'm looking for is someone that was there recently and can tell me 1. The condition of the beach. Is it destroyed, under repair or what? 2. Food.
Should we plan on the buffet or on going out? Is it Army food or better? 3. Is the hotel safe ie: not contaminated food, sewage smells, etc? 4. Is a $300 upgrade to a ocean view room worth it? 5. Is construction noise a problem? Are some locations better than others? What should I ask for?

I trust the opinions of ScubaBoard people over other sites. What do you think?

Well, if you ask 20 people, you're likely to get 20 answers. Opinions are highly subjective and relative to individual experiences.

I can't answer all of your questions because I haven't stayed there (since I live here), but I have had many divers stay there:

The beach is fine - NOTHING (that comes immediately to mind) is still destroyed - it's been over a year and the people of Cozumel busted their buts to get things put back together ASAP. With VERY few exceptions, everything is back to normal or better than before Wilma.

Reef Club food has never been good. I actually have eaten there when I was invited by the manager. Anyone who has high expectations of AI food will be disappointed. It's bland, boring and repetitive and often includes leftovers.

Cozumel is a safe island, period. AS far as stuff being contaminated...contrary to the AMerican mentality, Mexico does have health regulations and safety standards. If it was contaminated, it wouldn't be open. Tourism is out livlihood and no one wants the tourists to get sick, so necessary precautions are taken. You're just as likely to get sick in the states from bad food as you are here.

Don't drink the tap water anywhere on the island though. I shower and brush my teeth with it daily, and have for 6 years without problems. Anytime you ask for water ina restaurant or at the hotel, even if served in a glass, it's going t be purified/filtered water...same with the ice.

I can't speak from 1st hand experience, but I don't think any hotel on the island would warrant a $300 upgrade...so I would say no on that, especially for the Reef CLub, where the buildings are more like cabanas and none of them get a true full frontal ocean view. You may get an ocean front cabana...but not worth an upgrade IMO.

Finally, despite what people THINK, the Reef CLub DOES NOT have a pier. There is a pier at the north end of the property, but it belongs to Sand Dollar Sports, the onsite dive shop. They built it, paid for it and maintain it and justifiably so, charge for it's use. The pier fee is $2 per diver per day. I give my divers the option of covering this fee, wading out waist deep to the boat and jumping on from shore, or being picked up at one of our designated pick-up points (which we also pay for).

Hope this helps.

BTW...FWIW...IMO...there are better options.

Keep in mind that Trip Advisor seems to attract the negative comments. You can ignore most of them because they are from crabby people that couldn't have any fun or enjoy a vacation under any circumstances.

Daner---I was having a really bad day but now am laughing my head off......thanks!!
Betsy

Jethroish:
I just got home yesterday. Conditions were great. Water temps 80 to 82. Air temps 85. I'm not Willard Scott, so I cannot give you a forcast for the coming weekend. $300 upgrade for what? room? food?
Did you stay at the Reef Club? The OP wants comments on the hotel from someone who has stayed there recently, and ain't getting them. If you did, did you dive with the hotel operator, or another - if another, was the long hike to the dock a pain with gear, or did the Op take care of it for you...?

Thanks....!
Food was better than Army food but not as good as most other places we've stayed. There was not a lot of variety but you should not go hungry or get sick from it.
I cannot give current info as I haven't stayed there in 4 years. Then, I had a problem with the flies on the lukewarm food on the outdoor bar buffet, so I always went to the main restaurant. I had a problem with the service, walked back in the kitchen looking for help, and discovered that they didn't cook our lunches or dinners there - I guess those were delivered from another place, which may be common for the southern resorts.

I did think the rooms were fine, and no way would I pay $300 to get moved to ocean side. On arrival, I might ask about that idea, and dicker the price down to $100 for a week...?

But again, my info is far from current. Just trying to solicit current info from people who can comment, perhaps correcting my experiences as compared to current one.

Hope you have a wonderful vacation. :D

Back
Top Bottom