Reef hooks in Visayas, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For dives in current where you are intending so stay put and watch fishes swing in the current, you are far better of with a hook. Some people prefer to attach themselves to rock and corals , quite often with body and fins damaging the coral. The best way to preserve coral is to "intelligently" use a hook.

Reef Hooks are not allowed at Monad Shoal(Malapascua) based on the Local Government regulations.

So the answer to my question is that reef hooks are not allowed in certain areas and generally are not needed in this part of the Philippines.
The item is not bulky/heavy so bring it if you think you might need it.
No need to justify your decision.

I have a reef hook in the pocket of my BCD. Have not needed to use it in the last 2 weeks in Bohol. Currents there are but not strong.

I have dived in the country from north to south and east to west and could not recall ever need a reef hook.
But I have seen divers using reef hook to stop themselves in fast drift!!!! They should not be in those dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom