Reef House or CoCoView? What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
You'll see I offer no concrete answer to this PM, but a lot of food for thought!

Others... please join in with your ideas!

inter_alia:
Mr RoatanMan, aka "Doc",

I have been scouring posts about places to stay in Roatan (I bet you get this a lot) and have enjoyed your insights. I like what you say about nightlife and the "bore" of the drop-off dives heading back to Coco View. I am about to decide in favor of CCV for a mid April vacation with my father.

Anyway, I write to ask if you could comment on Reef House Resort. I hate to say that when I went to Tripadvisor, the comment boxes seemed a little... similar. Not to mention, all the scubaboard posts seem... similar... even when from "different" parties. I hate to be so suspicious but we are about to plunk down a chunk of change for a dive vacation and I just feel like I've gotten better, more diverse comments and photos from CCV.

Like Trip Advisor, comments are largely dependent upon the sheer volume of responses. Mathematicaly, CCV will have a larger group of responders. CCV holds a maximum of 72 guests using four 50' boats, RHR accepts a way smaller number (unsure exactly) and operates two smaller boats. Everybody is in love with the resort that they just went to. Thus the gurgling glowing responses. Stick to SCUBABoard for the best advice.

It all depends on what you want.

RHR is a great place, very intimate- you are sure to know everyone there quite well during the week. At CCV you will likeley get to know only the people you wish to speak with or decide to dine with. At CCV, it is easy to be alone in the crowd, or be gregarious and join in. It could cut both ways, depending!

CCV has superior boats, gear room infrastructure and the like. It is idealy suited for photographers, both on the boats as well as shore services. The boats have midship "moonwells" for access in rough conditions.

CCV offers NitrOx, RHR does not, but I feel that this difference is is irrelevant for typical dive profiles on the South side of Roatan. The people that insist on going deep at this location are clueless and shall remain so. The cool stuff is shallow, 60 feet and less, more in the 45fsw level.

RHR has better than average (for the Caribbean) boats and gear room/storage, what is below the apex standard of CCV is largely made up for by eager staff attentiveness.

In either case, you are "out in the boonies", although from CCV a trip for dinner to the West end is not impossible. It's a real hike from RHR. I consider this irrelevant because the West End holds no charm for me, you can do it on your pre-flight day off from either resort with ease. One of the best island restaurants, "The View" is situated equidistant between the two resorts, about 10 minutes away from either by cab. The most popular place, Geo's (also Romeo's) is quite close to CCV, but their popularity eludes me- too much like a nice steakhouse in Ohio for my tastes. :)

I am not fond of RHR's dive schedule. They do three seperte boat dives a day, that back and forth is a pain in the butt. I'd rather get 4 with CCV's method of 2 per boat trip.

RHR's shore dive (night dive other than the once a week boat night dive) is quite good. Certainly on apar with CCV's in many respects. CCV's is divable during almost any weather, RHR's is susceptable to occasional bad weather. RHR is located further away from the current point that siltation is beginning to show its effects on Roatan, and they are located off of my favorite (commonly dove) dive site, Calvin's Crack. They are also near "Hole in the Wall" and other dive sites that are good, but they commonly take you to the standard CCV dive sites which by comparison are further away.

RHR's website shows a great image of Calvin's as well as several of the Prince Albert, the wreck just in front of CCV. When RHR dives the wreck, they often stop in to CCV just to say, hi!

That is another all-but-invisible distinction. The wreck and the fact that it is literaly tied to your CCV room by it's former anchor chain- well... you can't ever be lost. This makes the night dive comfortable and easy breezy. Everybody night shore dives at CCV a lot, the real old timers skip the once-a-week boat night dive and stick with the "Front Yard".

Each place has its fans, and rightfuly so. So- there is no specific easy answer.

When I went to the RHR this past Feb, I had an absolute blast. The owners are Canadians and are awesome folks...there's an Aussie involved in the mix too...sexy acsent ;-) The food was always above average. The rooms/cabins were kept as clean as was possible. The diving was great...now when I was with them they had 2 boats, but were waiting on a new boat which was going to be larger. We usually did 2 dives in the morning followed by lunch followed by another 1-2 dives and on weds, weather permitting a night dive...mind you my recollections are shoddy at best. But Almost all the folks that went this year have already rebooked for feb 2007!

Thanks, Doc, for your insight.

RoatanMan:
The wreck and the fact that it is literaly tied to your CCV room by it's former anchor chain- well... you can't ever be lost. This makes the night dive comfortable and easy breezy. Everybody night shore dives at CCV a lot, the real old timers skip the once-a-week boat night dive and stick with the "Front Yard".

This is why I would choose CVV. I find it hard to go anywhere without a decent shore dive in the front yard.

Having dove with a number of different operations throughout the carribean I would have to give the vote for #1 to RHR ...What they lack in ammenities they certainly make up for with a genuine welcoming attitude toward their guests..I have found that many carribean dive resorts seem to "tollerate" their guests while Larry Carol Barry and Ashley at RHR seem to be glad to see you and open their "home" up to you.The dive sites are all fantastic, the staff friendly and very willing to help with anything and the food is excellent.
I think that most people when asked about a trip will always say it was great as a way to justify all the money they just spent...when asked when they are going back if they want to try somewhere else I would guess they did not have such a great trip..

By the way will be returning to RHR this Feb for another fantastic week of diving as will about 18 of my friends ...i guess RHR is doing something right

I've never stayed at RHR, but my vote is for Cocoview!

Lots of Night Dives on the Prince Albert, Nitrox, Comfy Boats ... Oh, and Jose.

Doc summed it up.

Back
Top Bottom