Reef recovery --- photos!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I must say, the reef recovery from that blasted hurricane is quite amazing. Just 3 years ago, we were shocked at the lack of colorful sponges, sea fas, and hanging algae growth on the deep dives. They were there, but sparsely distributed. NOW the deeper reefs are covered, and I do mean covered, with color..... Just like 10 years ago! There are some areas of sand damage still, mostly on the sand side of the walls, but the wall faces
are G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S again.

a few photos
120401_SeaFan_0209.jpg

120402_Reef_0397.jpg

120403_Reef_0550.jpg

120403_Reef_0553.jpg

120403_Reef_0547.jpg

120401_Reef_0204.jpg

So those of you who have been saying that you won't return to Cozumel until the reefs look like they did Pre-Wilma............... it's time!!!!

robin:D

Nice job!

I have shot more "reef shots" than anything both pre and post Wilma. I'm totally fascinated by the reef it's self, and try very hard to observe what's been going on with it over the years.

The first year out from Wilma was more than a little depressing, but from then on, the changes have been nothing short of remakable.

The first year was a lot of sand deposits & damaged and completely gone branch type corals and sea fans. Even the fish population seemed down. Very much comparable to a forrest fire. (and possibly with many of the same healing effects in the long run.)

Hydroids and sponges were the first to make the major comebacks. And now, we are strarting to see some of the harder corals and branch corals making their presence more known, even the Gorganions (sp?) are starting to come back in the shallows...it's very exiting!

I agree sharky - the reefs fascinate me... that is why I make Ron take his WA lens out to shoot photos for ME to enjoy. He would rather just do macro.

And the fishlife has greatly improved over the past 3 years, too. All fishlife, big and small, as well as turtles. For those who never dived Cozumel before the hurricane, you won't know the difference. But for the rest of us, we have been waiting to see such a great recovery and I am surprised how quickly it occurred. When we were there 3 years ago, I thought it would at least 20 years before it would look like this again. I was WRONG.

robin

Back
Top Bottom