Reef report... Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hodgson

Contributor
Reaction score
Last year the wife and I went to Jamaica for our vacation. This year we repeated that trip. For those interested, the reefs have noticably improved in just a year.

I dove the same reefs as last year and was stunned by the improvement, in just a years time. The fish population is way up from last year too. I encountered a school of blue reef fish that was HUGE.

The Jamaicans have instituted a "Save the reef" program, and I couldn't be happier :boings: I hope they keep it going. The fishermen (most of them) have started paying attention to anchoring only on sand and not just dropping anywhere. Now if they could stop fish trapping.

This year also marks my wifes first open water dive. She did very well on all the dives. Her gas consumption is better than mine..... dang it all, and I've been diving for over 30 years :11ztongue She came up with almost 500psi more than me on every dive. But then again, she's 12 years younger, and in much better shape than me.

Here's a shot of us on her second dive.... you can almost see her grinning. Her bouyancy control was really good for a newbee. She had no dangeling SPG or second....And best of all, she stayed off of the reef. I'm so proud :eyebrow:

Glad to hear that the fish population is increasing & that the reefs are improving. I always read how bad the diving is in Jamaica. Maybe this is the start of restoration.

Yay! - Going to Ocho Rios next August, I'm excited to see the difference since I got certified there last May. There were so few fish that I was actually slighly freaked when we got to Puerto Vallarta and Grand Cayman and were IN schools of fish...

Back
Top Bottom