Reels - Kent Tooling Primary Vs Larry Green Primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reku

Contributor
Reaction score
Great Lakes + Northern Florida + Marsh Harbor
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi - currently I use a DiveRite primary and unfortunately it got crushed by some tanks so I am looking for a new primary reel and have decided to try something else besides DR. Does anyone have any experience with both of these reels as I am trying to compare them against each other. I'm looking for something that can be used in dirty conditions without jamming from dirt or use. I was thinking the KT would be good because of the extra weight and they are bulletproof but I have heard wonderful things about LG reels and how smooth they are. I need 350'-450' of #24 at a minimum. Price does not concern me - I'm looking for what will work the best.

If you would like some additional info pertaining to other reels, please ask. I will not high jack your thread.

I own 2 KT reels. A conventional Wreck Reel and a Narrow Ratchet reel. They are truly robust, and pieces if art. They do however weigh a considerable amount.... It was a deal I couldn't pass up, so no regrets....

I own 2 KT reels. A conventional Wreck Reel and a Narrow Ratchet reel. They are truly robust, and pieces if art. They do however weigh a considerable amount.... It was a deal I couldn't pass up, so no regrets....

Do you know the best place to buy a KT reel in the US? Or will I have to somehow get one from overseas?

I got mine (used - mint condition) from a private sale in the US (IIRC. it was from someone here on SB). I don't believe there is a US point of sale.... regrettably....

I love my Light Monkey Reel. Dive Right In Scuba has their 400 ft model for $160. Very smooth!

400ftreel.jpg

400ft Primary Reel

LM is an awesome reel (though completely different from the KT that he specifically asked about). I have an LM also and really like it too.

Back
Top Bottom