References/classes to better understand conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've picked up skills here and there for navigation and determining dive conditions. For example, anything less than 2 ft swells with greater than 10 sec period is good. Usually i just hope the viz will be good. I don't have any understanding of how wind direction and strength effects the water.

Is there any formal training or better references for better understanding UW conditions?

Thanks

I've picked up skills here and there for navigation and determining dive conditions. For example, anything less than 2 ft swells with greater than 10 sec period is good. Usually i just hope the viz will be good. I don't have any understanding of how wind direction and strength effects the water.

Is there any formal training or better references for better understanding UW conditions?

Thanks
Wind over tide = uncomfortable boat ride and not much fun getting back on. This occurs when the wind is moving in the opposite direction to the tidal flow, effectively slowing and steepening the peaks.

Find a copy of Waves and Beaches: The Dynamics of the Ocean Surface · by Willard Bascom

I doubt there is any formal training in this. Probably due to the fact that conditions vary so much, even between sites in the same locales. Here, if there is a storm, it may be days before you get good viz, even if the next day the ocean is like glass. That Waves & Beaches sounds like a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom