Referral dive in Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnhook

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there. New to diving and new to the group. I just completed my course and as I live in the frozen North, can't complete my OW locally until summer. I have rented a villa in Akumal in Feb/Mar. Can anyone recommend a dive shop in that area to do my referral dives with? As a side note, I likely won't have my own gear, short of good quality wetsuit, mask, snorkel and fins. I plan on having that all purchased by summer. I waited until age 37 to finally do this, after a lifetime of wanting to. I've spent a huge amount of my time in the water, snorkelling and spearfishing. I was also a competitive speed swimmer when i was younger. I plan on making up for lost time. So any other advice you have to offer will be warmly received. Thanks!

If I give you some names, can I come down and share your villa? :D

There are two dive shops based in Akumal, Akumal Dive Shop and Akumal Dive Center. I have been out on a boat with the dive shop folks, but I have no experience with the Dive Center at all.

I do have recommendations from folks I know and trust, who live down there, for Dive with Natalie and Ivan. We sent some students down to MX and they dove with those folks, and were very happy with them.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks for the recommendation. Just so I'm clear, Natalie and Ivan are with the Dive Shop, not the Center?

---------- Post added December 30th, 2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

And I'd almost consider your bargain as i'm the only diver going on the trip and fear getting buddied up with some newbie who's only previous water experience is the hotel swim up bar.

No, Dive with Natalie and Ivan is a completely separate operation from the two dive shops physically located in Akumal.

You wouldn't be happy with me as a buddy, though. I've done exactly one open water dive in the Riviera Maya, and spent the whole time wondering why I wasn't cave diving :)

Thanks again for the recommendation. I will definitely check them out. Cave dives are a bit beyond me at this point, should probably complete my OW first. Speaking of caves though, have you ever tried any of the cenotes in the area? Not for me currently, but I hear some are quite amazing.

That my passion in my diving life, is cave diving in the Mexican cenotes. Even though it wouldn't be appropriate for you to dive them on this trip, you would probably very much enjoy going to one for some snorkeling. Grand Cenote, outside Tulum, has beautiful formations and views out from under the rock ceiling, while still on the surface. NoHoch also has some great snorkeling, but I would go with a tour there -- you can get WAY back in the dark while still on the surface!

I contacted Natalie and Ivan today by email. Ivan got back to me very quickly. Sounds like a good outfit from the little I was able to glean. I truly appreciate your advice. I'm counting the minutes until I leave for Akumal. 56 days now. Thanks again!

Please come back and write a report of your trip. I love reading about people's travels in the Yucatan.

For sure. I enjoy that as well. Hopefully I'll have some great adventures to report! Thanks again!

In Akumal finally! Arrived Tuesday afternoon. Spoke with Natalie and Ivan, planning on doing my check out dives on Sunday and Monday as the next 2 days are going to be pretty windy. Thankfully the bay we are on is sheltered so we've been snorkeling and having a ball. I'll report back after the dives and let you know how they went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom