Refitting a BC that's a bit big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Scubapro LadyHawk which I love. But it's a bit big. I wish I could say that I have lost so much weight diving that it just doesn't fit anymore, but I would be lying. I bought it too big.
Across the shoulders: it's a bit wide, so I have to keep the sternum strap buckled or else it might slip off my shoulders.
Around the waist: the cummerbund has to be tucked in under my weight pouches because it wraps so far around. I've adjusted the buckets that clip over the cummerbund so that there is less "extra" but it didn't make that much of a difference.
While diving: it will sometimes shift side to side and just isn't "part" of me.
Normally I dive a 7mm one piece and I'm tightening everything down. It's comfortable in the water but I am aware that it could fit better. Whenever I'm in the pool it's just too big. I'll be inflated on the surface and the shoulder straps will be 3" above my shoulders. I am going to be diving warm water this summer in a 3mm and am concerned about it being too big. I bought it to fit a 7mm where the majority of my diving will be and accept that it will be big when I dive warm water, but it's big in local water too.
Here's what I am looking for: simple to moderate adjustments that I can make to the BC to customize the size. I'm decent at sewing so I'm not too afraid. I am not looking to buy a new BC or go to a backplate and wing or anything else. My BC is fine, I'd just like to fine tune it.
Any hints or experience would be great.
Unless there is someone out there with a medium LadyHawk with about 55 dives on it and an Air2 who would like a large. :wink:
Thanks

Nay,

I don't think there is an easy way to refit that BC. It either fits or it doesn't...not to toot my own horn, but that is one benefit of the Zeagle Personal Fit System. You can adjust it to compensate for a change in size.

Scott

ScottZeagle:
I don't think there is an easy way to refit that BC. It either fits or it doesn't...not to toot my own horn, but that is one benefit of the Zeagle Personal Fit System. You can adjust it to compensate for a change in size.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. My husband has a Ranger and loves it.
Thanks Scott

I'll sew or modify pretty much anything, do that sort of thing a lot. I have a Ladyhawk and I'm really not sure how I would modify one that was that far off and make it work well. Maybe a neoprene vest to take up some of the space. Or figure out a way to attach a crotch strap to keep it from riding up, perhaps a y-shaped thing attached to the lower edge d-rings on the front, and I don't know how on the back as I'm not looking at one right now.

Personally I'd bite the bullet and get the right size in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom