Reg breathing hard when looking up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed that when I look up with the reg in my mouth, such as arching my neck back to see to the surface, that it is hard to breath off my reg. Not just my reg but others that I have tried. I cannot for the life of me figure out why????? I am assuming there should be no breathing difference how I hold my head on breathing. Just trying to figure out why, is it just me, has anyone else noticed this? Is there an explanation for this?

:idk: I usually just roll over onto my back, unless I've assumed a vertical position for ascent.

:idk: I usually just roll over onto my back, unless I've assumed a vertical position for ascent.

Does this mean you have noticed this hard to breath while looking up??

Yes...they breathe harder in that position. Some of the better regs out there will not have this problem as much. I'm pretty sure someone on here will explain the specifics of why the reg design results in that.

Because when looking up the 2nd stage diaphragm is higher than in any other position in relation to the lungs. The higher it is above the lungs the greater the differential pressure between the lungs and the diaphragm so greater effort is required to deflect the diaphragm. It is the same principle that makes breathing from a long snorkel difficult.

Because when looking up the 2nd stage diaphragm is higher than in any other position in relation to the lungs. The higher it is above the lungs the greater the differential pressure between the lungs and the diaphragm so greater effort is required to deflect the diaphragm. It is the same principle that makes breathing from a long snorkel difficult.

A shorter necked person will breath easier than a longer necked person? Does movement of the regulator 2-4 inches make a noticable difference?

So does this mean no reg no matter how fancy will not breath easy when looking up ? What about the posidons ? My g250v breathes a lot better than the r295 I used to use when looking up , but its by no means smoothe

The difference of even 2 -3 inches can make a noticable difference in the breathing effort due to the relationship of the depth of your lungs in relation to your reg. This will also be noticable on some unbalanced regs at depth when in a vertical postion, such as during ascent on a line. When tuning a 2nd stage, the diaphragm position (breathing effort) is measured in 'inches of water'. The breathing effort is dramatically changed by only a tiny distance in this adjustment.

PADI Instructor #263869
Scubapro Expert Tec

Many regs have quirks like this. I remember I had a regulator which was hard to breathe off when I was fully inverted (ie. head down).

We have all had at least one, or more! Most modern balanced regs can be tuned, the problem is that it requires the diver and tech to spend time together while it's being done, and the easier it breathes, the easier it will be to get the reg to free-flow as well.... it's just the nature of the beast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom