Reg choice and why for Stage, Pony, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use HOG regs, as well as dive rite and have scuba pro MK25/A700's. Going to put togehter a reg set or pick one up and was wondering what divers were using and pros/cons of first and second stage choices for stage set up or slung pony bottle whatever you want to call it . For instance diaphram vs piston, balanced or whatever reasons you have for what you use.

Thanks

I use HOGs as bailout regs. Simple regs to service and you can get a deco/stage package for $400.

You have opened pandoras box....

My personal opinion is to run the opposite of my primary tanks. Now I have many different reg sets. But for example:
Say mk25/s600 on my primary tank I would use a mk17 on my slung bottle. So that if there was a problem with the piston I could resort to a diaphragm, or the other way around. I typically also try to vary my 1st stages on my doubles as well. So if I run a piston on one I run a diaphragm on the other. In that scenario I would use the smallest 1st stage I had for a slung bottle. It really varies on the conditions to be honest.

The only thing I dislike are large 1st stages on my slung bottles. I like smaller regulators like the ds4. You really can't go wrong. Just find something that is opposite of your others for redundancy that has good hose routing and call it a day.

You have opened pandoras box....

My personal opinion is to run the opposite of my primary tanks. Now I have many different reg sets. But for example:
Say mk25/s600 on my primary tank I would use a mk17 on my slung bottle. So that if there was a problem with the piston I could resort to a diaphragm, or the other way around. I typically also try to vary my 1st stages on my doubles as well. So if I run a piston on one I run a diaphragm on the other. In that scenario I would use the smallest 1st stage I had for a slung bottle. It really varies on the conditions to be honest.

The only thing I dislike are large 1st stages on my slung bottles. I like smaller regulators like the ds4. You really can't go wrong. Just find something that is opposite of your others for redundancy that has good hose routing and call it a day.
Thanks

You're going to get a lot of different answers I assume.

I use HOG D1/Classic HOG Second Stages and Apeks DST/Apeks ATX50 second stages on my stage/deco and bailout bottles interchangeably. They are cheap, they route similarly, and I have a lot of them.

Anytime I find a used Apeks DST cheaply I usually buy it and rebuild it. I will keep the HOGs as long as they are serviceable and replace them with used Apeks regs.

In an ideal world it is nice to have all the same type of regulators for when you're servicing. You can buy service kits in bulk and easily swap stuff in the field.

Some people prefer Apeks DS4s (non-swivel) over the Apeks DST since there is one less failure point with the swivel and they're a little smaller. I like the routing options the DST provides so it doesn't bother me personally.

anyone familiar with the Deep Six Gear?

anyone familiar with the Deep Six Gear?

I was going to mention them actually. :) I own one of their singles regs right now. It's your typical diaphragm regulator like an HOG D1, Apeks DST. The build quality seems very good and they breath similarly to my Apeks and HOGs. They have stage kit packages on their website at a decent price. Overall, It's been a good regulator so far. I've had it in 37f water at 130ft without issue.

Only reason I didnt switch my stage regs to Deep Six is that I already own a sh*t ton of HOG and Apeks stuff.

I was going to mention them actually. :) I own one of their singles regs right now. It's your typical diaphragm regulator like an HOG D1, Apeks DST. The build quality seems very good and they breath similarly to my Apeks and HOGs. They have stage kit packages on their website at a decent price. Overall, It's been a good regulator so far. I've had it in 37f water at 130ft without issue.

Only reason I didnt switch my stage regs to Deep Six is that I already own a sh*t ton of HOG and Apeks stuff.
Yeah I own mostly HOG so leaning towards it just for service easy and being able to get multiple kits at a time. But am also not against trying something new. It would be my first reg set that will be just for a stage/bailout. Thanks for the input

@mainedvr if you have hog D3's, the parts kits are interchangeable.

Here is what I have and why

Primary *doubles/CCR or sidemount-Scubapro MK25, Poseidon Jetstream
Bailout/Stage-Poseidon 3960, Poseidon Jetstream
Deco-Poseidon 3960, Scubapro 109

MK25/Jetstream because @victorzamora gave me sh!t for years about not having swivel turrets so I caved and got a good deal on some. Admittedly they are more comfortable in sidemount, and obviously offer a lot better hose routing in backmount.
I love Jetstream second stages, so I keep using them. I am not a huge fan of pistons in general vs. sealed diaphragms, but as I don't actually own any sealed diaphragms at the moment for a myriad of reasons it may sound a bit hypocritical. My diving is primarily freshwater caves though.

Bailout/stages I use 3960's because they're tiny and are really nifty little first stages. Same reasoning as above for second stages.

Deco is same reason as bailout but use Scubapro 109's because I can put an inline shutoff on them easier than the Jetstreams and they give me one extra layer of caution before I put that reg in my mouth.

If I was diving in the ocean all the time, I'd use sealed diaphragms because keeping the salt out is a lot easier. For example, the stage bottles, which have unsealed first stages are a right PITA to get sand out of the chamber and I have seen some UGLY top sections when buying those used that have been around the salt. Same with unsealed pistons. If you don't have your own tanks, and aren't going to soak them completely before they dry, preferably with water moving *I have a fish tank circulation pump that I stick to the side of the bathtub to keep it moving if I'm diving in the salty stuff*, then I'd really go sealed diaphragm.

I have a mix of a Scubapro MK2 first stage + Cressi MC9 second stage.
Why?
Because that is what I had "in store".
I need to get something better though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom