Reg for twin set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanMalta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a twin 12ltrs 230Bar with isolation manifold. I want to buy regs for them now. I am looking at either Apeks Tek 3 or Scubapro MK25s with A700s.

I haven't yet chosen or have a clue on what I should get.
First of all, what are the advantages and disadvantages of piston vs diaphragm 1st Stages?
The Apeks has left and right 1st stages and the MK25 has a swiveling turret, for less strain on the hoses, any ideas?
Any other suggestions of regs I should look for?

I can say that I'm quite new into tec diving, but have been diving for 18 years almost once a week even more all year round.

Please feel free to suggest any regs. I would also like to see what you think.

Thanks

on the apeks side, the DST XTX50's are a bit better match to the mk25 a700. Tek3's are great for rebreathers and stage bottles, they're pretty terrible for doubles.
That said there are a lot lower cost alternatives out there that perform just as well as either of those.

lots of threads on piston vs. diaphragm, I sit firmly in the diaphragm camp though

The Mk25 will be more versatile if you ever need to use them for something besides the doubles.

Leave the Tek 3 in the shop it is not worth the bother!
Apeks DST/XTX50 + 5th port.
Personally I don't find the turret any use on twin set. My set up is DS4(left post with a swivel for the lp 2nd stage hose) + FSR. DST is great as deco reg because of hose routing(turret).
You can also add the 5th port into the FSR but why pay more for same performance!

Last edited:
Scubapro MK25s with A700s

You should consult with Tom Steiner in Gozo regarding this combination vs. the others. He is the one of the biggest names in Technical diving in Europe and is based in Gozo (he is most down to earth). He uses this combination in all of his technical diving.

www.facebook.com/gozotechnicaldiving

Leave the Tek 3 in the shop it is not worth the bother!
Apeks DST/XTX50 + 5th port.
Personally I don't find the turret any use on twin set. My set up is DS4(left post with a swivel for the lp 2nd stage hose) + FSR. DST is great as deco reg because of hose routing(turret).
You can also add the 5th port into the FSR but why pay more for same performance!

I don't find the Tek3 regulators unsuitable for doubles. For the hoses that cross sides there is a bend, and I do prefer rubber hoses, but it is not a big deal. You could add a 90 degree pivot swivel to these if you wanted, but I don't find that it is needed. I have XTX50s with 5th port also. I continue to use the Tec3s on my doubles.

I don't find the Tek3 regulators unsuitable for doubles. For the hoses that cross sides there is a bend, and I do prefer rubber hoses, but it is not a big deal. You could add a 90 degree pivot swivel to these if you wanted, but I don't find that it is needed. I have XTX50s with 5th port also. I continue to use the Tec3s on my doubles.

what advantage do the tek3's provide vs the dst?

what advantage do the tek3's provide vs the dst?

I don't think there is any advantage of Tek3 over DST for BM doubles. OP said he was looking at Apeks Tek 3 or Scubapro MK25s with A700s. There was a comment made to "Leave the Tek 3 in the shop it is not worth the bother!" and "they're pretty terrible for doubles." I am simply stating that I do not find them unsuitable or terrible for use with doubles and are one of the two regulators models the OP specifically asked about.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom