Reg for twin set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what you mean. Is there a dive computer that does what a Shearwater does for less? I remember I think it was X-deep that had the black but that was discontinued.

The point I was trying to make is that people are not always focused on price first. There are a number of other considerations that consumers take into account. While some segment of the scuba population will focus primarily on price, that is not true of all divers. I'll tell you what appeals to me about Deep 6. It is a product that is comparable in performance of the regs that I currently have (Apeks XTX50, MK25/S600/G260, IST, Atomic M1) at the depths I dive. I can service these regs myself, which is a huge plus for when I open up my own dive op in the Greek islands. I've learned a bit from the dive ops I've used there about the parts and service issues they run into being small operations.

Deep 6 meets the needs of these operations perfectly. They are not looking at starting price. They are looking at what it takes to maintain a set of 10 or so regulators for their customers year in and year out, without issues of getting parts.

With regards to Shearwater, they have competitors. Xdeep came and went. I don't know exactly what happened to Sea Bear. I've heard good things about OTSC. I don't know what is going on with Ratio. But one reason why they have such a loyal customer base is that they have a great product that is so easy to use. They have a long history of great products. Their customer service is second to none. Let's say an octopus steals both my Perdixes. It would be next to impossible for me to replace both of them with anything but Shearwater. Any competitor would really have to amaze me for me to even consider them. When it comes to diving deep, I do all my planning prior and have my schedules set, but I will always have two dive computers as backup. I will not screw around there.

So I go with Shearwater.

This is what I meant by "Hmmm ..... Shearwater ...."

yup, agree. i said that above. I had thought that most folks knew that teflon was a issue with heat and scraping, I knew that wasn't a concern with a regulator, assuming that the average diver knew was a mistake..

I am not an expert but do understand how regulators work. The problem I see is not the Teflon but the potential for poor coating, where the material does not adhere properly. Also I never used metal utensils with Teflon pans, hand washed then, and never used more than 1/2 heat on them and still had the problem with the coating. wearing off over time. This was on one of the pans recommended by America's test kitchen.

I am not an expert but do understand how regulators work. The problem I see is not the Teflon but the potential for poor coating, where the material does not adhere properly. Also I never used metal utensils with Teflon pans, hand washed then, and never used more than 1/2 heat on them and still had the problem with the coating. wearing off over time. This was on one of the pans recommended by America's test kitchen.
teflon in pans is a heat issue, not an ingestion issue.

The heat required for an issue is above 400 at the low end some guidelines say over 600 degrees (f), you'll have other issues in diving than the teflon barrel on your reg at those temps

even half heat with plastic utensils is a lot more abrasion and heat than a regulator will experience. Teflon is inert at normal temperatures and the fumes are what is toxic, not the ptfe itself. You can eat it and it will go right through you with no ill effect. The fumes that offgas when under high heat are the problem as those fumes get absorbed into whatever food is being cooked in the pan.
Half heat is still over 400F at parts of the pan. Average temp may be much lower, but point temperatures will be higher, especially on coil stoves.

Regs are basically always cold due to the adiabatic cooling of the gas, and even when in the sun are going to be nowhere near 200F heaven forbid 400.

yup, agree. i said that above. I had thought that most folks knew that teflon was a issue with heat and scraping, I knew that wasn't a concern with a regulator, assuming that the average diver knew was a mistake..

Teflon pots and pans are bad now??? Since when?

Teflon pots and pans are bad now??? Since when?

forever technically, but at least over here it has been talked about for probably 10 years? Is it really an issue? Frankly I'm far more concerned with bagged popcorn than I am with a teflon pan, but it's there and while it is currently looked at scientifically as a "could" not a "will" in terms of causing cancer, I prefer to leave it be. Most websites and people are grossly sensationalizing the risk like the American media is prone to. NPR link below for you

tell your government to keep the power on for more than a day and you may catch the news :p

DuPont Under Fire for Teflon Fumes

tell your government to keep the power on for more than a day and you may catch the news :p

Which government do you mean?? We have at least three, maybe four!!

@stuartv I don't really understand your concern. You DM for a shop that is a DR dealer and you already have a set of XTs. In another thread (or maybe this one) you mentioned that your shop will likely service them for free. It seems pretty clear to me that Dive Rite is your best choice unless you are dissatisfied with them. Especially. if you can get keyman pricing or a discount for being your shop's dive master. As someone that collects regulators, it is a PITA to have to keep separate kits for each different model. My suggestion is to standardize.

Yes, DR makes good sense for me. But, I still like to know about the other options. Both for my own knowledge and also because sometimes people do ask me what I think about these things. I have suggested Deep6 regs to people as an option to consider on several occasions. If I'm suggesting to people to check them out, I like knowing as much as I can about them. I'm not going to steer somebody to DR and away from Deep6 just because my shop sells DR and not Deep6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom